The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 18, 2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Shotput79

Need Some Info Guys.

I got hold of a .58 cal 1863 zouave rifle. I've never used a .58 cal befour. I need to fine a good mold to cast my owm balls to. I'd like to try bullets also but not sure what I'm looking for in bullet size or a good weight. I'd like to fine a mold to cast them to. I would like to learn about powder charge to hunt deer size game with. The .58 is a whole new ball game for me so I need some good info. Would like to use this gun till time for hunting this year. Dixie Gun Works has .570 rd ball for sale till I can get my own molds and such. I also need to know what size pactches to use with rd ball for this gun. Thinks for any help to get me up and running.
Old July 18, 2012, 07:33 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Don't bother with RB in Minie gun. They shoot terribly (I tried it in my 24" bbl Parker Hale Musketoon). Go with a Minie mold. Lyman recommends for the Dixie Zouave Carbine the .575@ 350 gr Lyman Minie mold 575213-OS with 50-100 grains FF in ten grain increments or 70-90 grains Pyrodex RS.

For the Navy Army's Zouave rifle-musket, they recommend the .577" 530 grain Minie casted from the Lyman 567611 mold with 50-80 grains of FF in ten grain increments.
Old July 18, 2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Hawg

I use 70 grains of Pyrodex and a Lyman traditional minie in my P53 Enfield. Too hot of a powder charge and you blow past the skirt trashing accuracy.
Old July 18, 2012, 08:18 PM   #4
kwhi43

They shoot very accurate with round balls. All the ones I have seen through
Out the past 40 years shoot anywhere from 50 grs to 90 grs Fff black powder
And a 570-575 round ball with 017 thick patches. They will shoot round balls
Into 3 inch groups at 100 yds. I have won many a match with mine. Powder
Charge doesn't make any difference. I shoot 55 grs. In mine. At 50 yds it and
All the Zouaves I have seen will cut clover leaves . Mine is a Zolie. After all they
Have a round ball twist 1 turn in 72. I have shot mine at the Nationals at
Friendship In. In the 200 yd Musket matches. Believe me round balls shoot!
Old July 18, 2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Shotput79

I think I'll order a couple boxes of rd ball from Dixie Gun Works tonight to get a little shooting started. I would like to get a mold and make my on any idea which mold to get for rd ball? As for bullets I would like to try some befour I get a mold so I want be buying stuff I don't need or can use. I lucked up with this gun. I want to shoot it SOOOOO BAD!!!!!!!!
Old July 20, 2012, 12:26 AM   #6
Hellgate

For a hunting load my Zoli Zouave likes 90grs FFFg pushing the 575213-OS minie. My Musketoon likes the 577611 minie pushed by 90grs FFg. I have not worked up a patched round ball (PRB) load for them yet.

One thing I would suggest is to take an oval piece of aluminum, thin leather or inner tube to make a flash guard to put around the nipple extending to the wood behind it to protect the wood from the flame when you shoot. It keeps the gun looking new. A lot of shooting without it will scorch the wood behind the nipple and you can tell the gun is well used. Protecting that area will preserve the value of the gun. You need a sharp, narrow chisel to cut a diamond or square hole in the flash guard to fit snugly onto the nipple.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 20, 2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Shotput79

Think you Hellgate. I will look into that befour I fire the first shot. I've gotton a lot of infor already for some things I needed for this gun. Fellas I can't wait to start shooting this rifle.
Old July 20, 2012, 01:59 PM   #8
kwhi43

Don't know if you know it or not, but you can replace the nipple with one
that will take a No. 11 cap. That's what mine has had in it since I bought
it new in 1975. After thousands of shots the nipple is as good as new.