The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2010, 01:37 PM   #1
DiscoRacing

Can I shoot check based without checks.

I got a lee 440gr mold with the check base... after asking about checks a few stated that a lead bullet can be shot without the checks... Can I shoot a bullet with the check base without a gas check on it?? I know the charge would have to be less than max. Just curious if it will do harm to the barrel in any way to shoot them without the checks when it was designed to have checks on them.
Old August 19, 2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Won't harm the barrel a bit and unless you are trying for some serious 'get down there and knock something down' loads you won't see much difference in accuracy either. Even if you get a little leading prompt cleaning right after shooting takes care of that. More important is the size of the bullet you are shooting and your lube.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 19, 2010, 07:01 PM   #3
res45

I shoot the Lee 170 gr./Aloxed GC bullet in my 30-30 without the GC using 8 grs. of Red Dot. MV is just under 1200 fps. great small game and plinking load thats very accurate. Bullets are cast from WW alloy and sized to .310
Old August 19, 2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Slamfire

That mold is for a 500 S&W Magnum!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=266944

If you are planning to load to magnum velocities, I suspect you will get better results with a gas check.

I tried 30 caliber bullets without gas checks and they shot just awful. I was pushing them around 1700 fps. Gas checks brought them back.

I believe that if you push a lead bullet with a naked gas check base too hard, you deform the already wonky end.
Old August 19, 2010, 09:03 PM   #5
GP100man

DR

I cast the 358156 & shoot em to mid 357 (1100fps) with no problems any more pressure though & groups open up fast !

This is one reason I removed the GC from my HP 358156 , The cost of GCs is rediculos to say the least .

My next 1 is to remove the shank from a 2 holer 358156.
Old September 17, 2010, 01:07 PM   #6
jal5

gp100-

how do you remove the GC from the mold? I have a 358156 I may want to try that out on.

Joe
Old September 17, 2010, 05:29 PM   #7
GP100man

I sent mine to Buckshot over on the Castboolits forum he did a fine job the base band now is close to 360 , I even all up in a 359 sizer die .

& I put lube in the lower crimp groove.