The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2006, 11:56 AM   #1
WhyteP38

What Else Do I Need?

I'm looking into reloading .45 ACP for practice rounds (not for matches), and right now I'm seriously considering a Dillion Square Deal B. I've never reloaded before, and around my area I can't find anyone who has, so I'm wondering what other equipment I need to/should buy in addition to the Square Deal kit.

I figure I'll need a scale (I prefer electronic, so any suggestions are appreciated).

I figure I should also get a chrony (again, any suggestions are appreciated).

Thanks in advance.
Old January 30, 2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

You don't absolutely need a chronograph, but they are nice.

You need at least one, and better yet two or three, loading manuals.

A set of scale checkweights is good, but most electronic scales come with a set already.

Other than that, the SDB has pretty much everything you're going to need to get into reloading.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 30, 2006, 12:15 PM   #3
WhyteP38

Thanks, Mike. Any suggestions on particular reloading manuals? I figure the most popular ones are popular for a reason, so no sense in me re-inventing the wheel.
Old January 30, 2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Your first step should be to visit the website for the company that makes the powder you're going to use. You can often download the most recent company specific loading manual.

Then, if you're going to be shooting a lot of lead, get a Lyman manual.

I also use the Hornady manual.

The Lee manual is very good.

Sierra and Nosler manuals are good if you're going to be using primarly their jacketed bullets, but the last ones I looked at were kind of limited otherwise (lead loads).

Old January 30, 2006, 12:52 PM   #5
WhyteP38

Thanks again. I haven't picked a particular powder company yet, and I plan to reload only 230 grain FMJ.

What's the difference (if any) between an electronic scale and an electronic powder dispensor, like the Lyman DPS 1200? If I get one, do I need the other?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I want to do this right the first time around.

Thanks in advance.
Old January 30, 2006, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
What's the difference (if any) between an electronic scale and an electronic powder dispensor, like the Lyman DPS 1200? If I get one, do I need the other?
A scale measures powder weight, an electronic powder dispenser distributes the powder from a reservoir into a pan on the scale. You don't need a powder dispenser just a scale since the Dillon has a powder measure on the press.
http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=6&dyn=1&
Old January 30, 2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Leftoverdj

Whyte, I'm cheap and you are planning on the simplest possible reloading. For one cartridge with one bullet and one load, all you really need is the Square Deal, calipers, and a basic scale. You're only going to use that scale to set the powder measure and to check maybe every 20th load so anything fancy is a waste of money. Get the el-cheapo Lee Perfect scale for about $15 and buy a keg of WW 231 with the money you saved by not going electronic. Set the powder measure to throw 4.8 grains of 231, and skip the loading manuals. You can check that load online or simply ask the posters here to crosscheck me.

Any 230 grain FMJ bullet, any reloadable cases, any standard large pistol primer, overall length of 1.25, and you'll be fine.

I do NOT know why people try to make such a simple matter so complicated for beginners.
Old January 30, 2006, 01:51 PM   #8
WhyteP38

Thanks, Leftoverdj.

Yeah, for the kind of reloading I plan on doing, I imagine it's fairly simple. 90% of my shooting involves .45 ACP, 5% .380 ACP, 3% 9mm, and 2% 7.62x39. The non-45 shooting is so infrequent that I'd rather just buy the ammo online.
Old January 30, 2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I do NOT know why people try to make such a simple matter so complicated for beginners."

Please explain.

What complexity is being introduced by whom?

As for the "cheapo Lee scale..."

Leave it where it belongs -- in the trash.

I've tried using several of these devices over the years, and I can only say that they are a complete and total waste of money, by far the WORST product that Lee produces.

Old January 30, 2006, 05:41 PM   #10
hpcc19

The Rest

I know it sounds obvious, but get 10-20 plastic cartridge boxes.

I LOVE the Lee scale! It's SOOOOO cheap (and cheap looking) and all I use it for is checking the charge throw ever 20 rounds or so. I would never use it for measuring charges..or even weighing postage.

And dude....don't forget the inertial bullet puller.
Old January 30, 2006, 08:44 PM   #11
44junkie

It depends on your volume, but you might want to get a tumbler, cleaning media, sifter, dial caliper, primer flip tray and bullet puller.

Cabelas has an inexpensive ($89) electronic scale that works reasonably well. The Lyman reloading manual is full of data and has several chapters describing the reloading process and best practices.

A chrony is nice, but not necessary for plinking.
Old January 30, 2006, 11:54 PM   #12
roy reali

Record Keeping

You will need something to keep records. I use a plain sheet notebook. I record the date, and all the components I put into a particular load. Then I note the range results. You would hate it if you put together a great load and didn't remember how it was put together.