The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 9, 2008, 03:08 AM   #1
2ndchance

total disassembly of a SIG slide

I'm planning on refinishing my Sig P225/P6 slide. I would like to break the slide town and remove everything so I end up with a gutted/hollowed-out slide. So, here's my question.

1. When drifting the sights off the slide, does it matter which way I tap them (left or right)?

2. When I press out the roll pin in the back, will this allow the entire underside (holding the firing pin and breech face) slip out or is there something else in there holding onto it.
Old November 12, 2008, 10:48 AM   #2
BSlacker

I can only relate my experience I am not a Sig armorer.
1. Sights are removed right to left. The rear will be on very tight. Don't mar the slide in an effort to hold it tight in the vise.

2. The roll pins are what hold the block in. Same as the sights right to left for removal. Get new roll pins from Sig they are not the same as what is avail at the hardware store. Place the roll pins so that the splits are opposite. You must use close fitting pin drivers for removal. Some say to remove the inside pin first. The pins are tight. When putting the pins back in I use a purpose built pin driver. Its holding hole is made just for the Sig pins so that the pin is supported about 1/4 the length and is somewhat compressed as it is held in the pin holder.
Good Luck.
Lots of info over on the Sig Forum.
Old November 12, 2008, 09:57 PM   #3
2ndchance

Aw.. so you think I can't reuse the original pins?
Old November 13, 2008, 12:29 PM   #4
10-96

I don't believe there is any reason not to use the original pins of they don't get boogered up.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 14, 2008, 09:12 PM   #5
ActivShootr

Quote:
I don't believe there is any reason not to use the original pins of they don't get boogered up.
I agree. However, if the pins are loose fitting going back in, get new ones.

Also, as stated, use the proper size roll pin punch not just anything that will fit in the hole. This will prevent boogering up the pins. A bench block (steel block with various sized holes drilled thru) will be very helpful in driving out the pins.
Old November 15, 2008, 11:06 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Roll pins can be reused, but never on a service weapon. Service weapons must be 100% reliable. Roll pins lose their compression if used once. That's why they're never reused on a service weapon.