The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 23, 2001, 06:05 AM   #1
S&W44

Lugers

Any Luger experts here?I'm looking at a couple of guns just in at the local gun shop.
The first is a 9mm double date DWM(1918,1920).Matching numbers,about 75% blue,mismatched magazine,stock lug.
Second is a 7.65 DWM with no other obvious markings.This one is about 70% condition,matching numbers except the mags(2),and comes with a hardshell holster dated Dresden 1937.
They are asking $450 for the 9mm and $425 for the 7.65.
Thanks
Old December 23, 2001, 09:16 PM   #2
Steven Mace

S&W44, probably your best bet is to visit the Luger Forum. There you'll be able to post your information and get a detailed response concerning the handguns in question. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old December 23, 2001, 09:34 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I am not a Luger person, so check them out by board and book, but my impression is,
THAT'S CHEAP!
Old December 23, 2001, 11:23 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The first is a standard WWI 1918 DWM Luger that was re-issued to the post-war German army/police, hence the second date. It is not actually the date of issue, simply the date at which the reissue was authorized and it served as a sort of property mark. Many of those were rebuilt and mismatched parts are common.

The other was also made between wars when the Versailles treaty banned new production of handguns in the military 9mm caliber. But Germany was desperate for hard currency, so surplus Lugers and parts were refurbished to commercial standards for export, often in 7.65mm Parabellum (which we call .30 Luger). These are often called the "1920 commercial" by collectors since most were imported around that time.

They have numbers on all the parts, but in accordance with commercial practice, were hidden inside. You will see them when or if you disassemble the pistol.

The prices are not too bad. They are a bit high for what you describe, but if Lugers don't turn up often in your area, you might not have too many chances at one. They would be better than one of the East European "arsenal refinished" ones. If you can afford it, you might make an offer of, say $750 for both, then come up to $800. Most dealers would rather sell two than one any day, even if they make a bit less on each.

The 7.65mm is a nice shooter and rarely has any of the problems associated with the 9mm. The problem is, of course, that there is no surplus ammo supply so 7.65mm is not cheap to shoot.

Jim
Old December 24, 2001, 11:40 AM   #5
S&W44

I picked up the 9mm this morning,the 7.65mm was gone already.It's a good thing I went today.They were supposed to hold it for me until after Christmas,but one of the clerks had put it in the display case this morning.It would have been long gone by the end of the day.