The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
KingEdward

Layers of Security and Tips for home safety

Many have good simple (and some not so simple) layers of security at home and also tips to prevent looking like an easy target and other tips/tools in preparation for emergency (more than just a bump in the night).

Along with the norm (dogs / alarm system / lights on timers / SD plan etc.) please share layers you use or have seen someone else employ and share your tips for being alert and keeping safe at home.
Old May 5, 2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

Many years ago while the earth was still cooling, I took the instructor course for the NRA's Personal Protection In The Home class. Interestingly enough, the NRA still teaches that class- see http://www.nrahq.org/education/train...ictraining.asp for links to a course description, as well as a locator tool to see if anyone is teaching the class near you.

If you can't get to a live class, see http://materials.nrahq.org/go/produc...tid=ES%2026840 to get the classroom portion on DVD. For the textbook, see http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product....oductid=PB+017 . The class is IMHO the best and most widely available introduction to the topic of home defense I know of.

hth,

lpl
Old May 5, 2009, 10:07 PM   #3
MLeake

Recommendations from our local PD after a burglary at our home

Came home from Christmas leave (more accurately, she came home; I had to go back to my TDY at Fort Bragg...) to find the back door kicked in and some electronics missing.

PD arrived. First question they asked: "Are there any guns missing?" They were very happy when she said, "No, they are all in the safe."

Note1: Safes are a good investment.
Note2: Keeping track of serial numbers could be important, for reclaiming stolen goods or for insurance claims.
Note3: Some insurance companies put a category limit on firearms. A friend of mine was burglarized recently; apparently State Farm caps firearm theft insurance at $2500, regardless of what guns were worth.

PD recommended doing a few things, to include:

1) Put lights on timers.
2) Put up wax paper or other opaque barrier in garage windows, so evildoers can't be sure nobody is home.
3) Keep cars in garage when home, so people can't tell over time that your car is in the driveway when you are home, and not in the driveway if you aren't. If the car is never in view, and they can't see into the garage, they can't tell.

We had already put a hold on our mail, but the PD did recommend that, too.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:06 PM   #4
trublu

I never drive directly to or from work. I don't want to bring trouble home.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:11 PM   #5
grymster2007

Quote:
I never drive directly to or from work.
I do the same; wouldn't want Mrs. Grymster to find out where I work! Then, of course I'm kinda of a jerk for a boss, so I wouldn't want on of my employees following me home either.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:12 PM   #6
KingEdward

good idea on the garage windows. I also like and practice lights on timers throughout the late night / early morning.

Living on a corner lot near down town keeps me busy and the side street off my driveway is a dead end and sometimes people park there and sit there and I give attention to that. Especially when it's 2 am and it's not a neighbor's vehicle.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:26 PM   #7
5whiskey

internet security. In the ordeal that I've been through lately, I've discovered that online is an amazing tool to find out information. Anything from getting a full name, finding your address, finding interests and habits (such as SD and HD related if you're name and location is tied to this board), finding places you frequent if you throw it out there, what kind of vehicle(s) you drive, all taxable property you own, ect.

I'm trying to figure out how to take all of my information off of the internet. Public information is just that, but I would at least rather someone trying to case me as an individual have to go to the effort of going to the court house.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:40 PM   #8
markj

If they can get thru the croc filled moat, then the attack pigs will surely get them. ALways keep a loaded pistol in my hand while at home, trick is to learn how to do everything left handed so I never put the weapon down. Sleep is done in shifts so someone is always up and ready for confrontation. All trees have been cut so no noise from them can interfere with the several hundred mics placed outside, cameras are also moved from time to time.....

A good dog that barks at strangers is a good thing too.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:49 PM   #9
fbrown333@suddenlink

You can't get around the public info in my opinion, schools(for the kids,tax dept, city utilities,etc...) but you can keep them guessing when you are and are not at home. I have cameras at certian places around the house and don't care who knows,the more the better. The word gets out and they stay away. Add to that that the wife don't/ can't work anymore and you have 24/7 security +dogs. The wife knows how to shoot and is probably more trigger happy about shooting some one breaking in than I am so I think we are ok in that dept.
Old May 6, 2009, 03:44 PM   #10
2rott

2 Rottweilers. Because of the dogs I'm not concerned about home protection. They make me feel more secure than my guns. Anyone comes near my property & they know I have 2 lg. dogs. Only a professional burglar would try to get past them, & I don't warrant a pro.
Old May 6, 2009, 03:48 PM   #11
grymster2007

Quote:
A good dog that barks at strangers is a good thing too.
yeah, those are great. It's the dogs that bark at everything and nothing that I dislike.
Old May 6, 2009, 04:33 PM   #12
KingEdward

thanks all for the replies...

I have to be on the lookout for late night door knockers as we have mucho joggers / dog walkers / college students biking / etc.

Plus I am less than 1/4 mile from a by pass off of a major Interstate.

For late night door knockers, I have learned a lot from TFL.

Mainly, Don't open the door (and yes, I keep my ccw either on me late at night, or up on the mantle which is beside the recliner.

It is my choice whether to communicate through door or not. I have porch lights and side window which help. I also may direct loved ones to go to a safe room depending on what the knocking is like and/or what I see through the window.

I've opened the door one time out of probably 50 late night knockers....

there was an 85 year old woman who after some communication through
the door I realized she was saying that she had locked herself out of the house (she lived about 5 houses down). After calling her brother who had spare key (she gave me his phone number) I let her in as she was in a panic and it was thunderstorming outside. He picked her up and thanked me and they went home.

Many other times I have made calls or directed someone towards the highway but I don't open the door and I don't give anyone my telephone.

I do not get into discussions with "magazine" sales folks or those who are
participating in a "fund raiser" either. It's always, through the locked door, thank you so much for stopping by but unfortunately I am not in need of your
services at this time. Thanks again and good luck with your endeavors.

Then it's walk away and go about the evening. I've never had one of those type people hang around or cause trouble.
Old July 16, 2009, 07:58 AM   #13
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Quote:
It's the dogs that bark at everything and nothing that I dislike.
I'm holding down the parents fort while they are away for a week and I have been happy to have the dog bark at nothing every so often. Often times the nothing could be a shadow outside or a doorbell on TV. That shadow could be some local wildlife, a tree blowing in the wind, or a trick of the light, but it is reassuring to know she's paying attention.
Old July 16, 2009, 09:29 AM   #14
pax

Closed - this old thread was bumped to the top by a spammer who has since been deleted. If you'd like to discuss the topic, please start a fresh thread.

pax
Closed Thread