The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 7, 2009, 07:47 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Range rules... yer job?

As a regular customer do you feel obliged or inclined to enforce the personal or general safety rules on others?
Brent
Old March 7, 2009, 08:20 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

i do for sure.... dont matter whos job it originally was if the stray bullet gets me in the rump
Old March 7, 2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Semper Paratus

Safety rules yes.....other range rules no/
Old March 7, 2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Wagonman

What are rules on a range that don't deal with safety?
Old March 7, 2009, 09:49 PM   #5
MrSardonicus

IMHO anyone on the range has the right and responsibility to bring safety violations to the attention of the offending party. Politely. Even little ol' me can get distracted and lost in thought, especially when working up a new load, or on those days when I go to the range to blow off some steam. I'm not saying that I violate safe rules 'o the range often, just that we are all human and make mistakes once in a while. On the range some mistakes can turn darn dangerous darn quick, even deadly. At the range or in the field it's in everyone's best interests to look out for one-another, and if necessary remind one-another of the rules. Just my $.o2, FWIW.
Old March 7, 2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
What are rules on a range that don't deal with safety?
Drinking, eating, smoking on firing line. Eye & hearing protection. Handling firearms in the "ready" area. Use of correct Ammunition. Handling gun stoppages and malfunctions. Etc. They are indirectly related to safety, but not really my business as a shooter. They are the responsibility of the RSO and/or ranger owner.

NRA Life Member
Old March 7, 2009, 11:41 PM   #7
HiBC

Procedural compliance ,I'd let the RO handle it,unless the RO is distracted,negligent,busy,or just looking the wrong way

Everybody is responsible for safety all the time.Adbdicating safety to the RO is not so different from abdicating self protection to the police.

I won't worry about your bag of Doritoes,but if you are trying to clear a stuck round from a chamber and the muzzle is pointed at someone's head'I don't care if it is my first visit to the range,I will step up.I'll let the RO handle the action to be taken,but I will intervene.
If your kid crosses the line of fire,I will bellow cease fire,not look for an RO.

No disrespect to RO's.I thank them all.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:57 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Personal safety= hearing and eye safety and eating and drinking etc...
General safety is muzzle pointing, cease fire, and the sort that affects the safety of others...
Personally if you want to bust off hot .454 rounds with out ear protection I don't care but sweep me with a muzzle and will at least discuss the matter!
Brent