The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 22, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1
adamc

Want to get wife & daughter some MACE spray what type is best ?

Want to get wife & daughter some MACE spray what type is best ?
They have no interest in firearms, but interested in pepper spray.

Key chain, wrist mount, hand help ?

input please

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old March 22, 2013, 10:56 AM   #2
jalcon

Fox Labs is good stuff.

Also Mace and Pepper spray are not the same.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:58 AM   #3
grizz223

Sabre Red.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Jager78

If it is legal in your state then almost anything that has both CS and OC. Be sure it at least has OC or it is just a gimmick.

Also be sure to train them to use their thumb as their "Trigger Finger" as oppossed to their index finger. Better targeting control when using your thumb. That is unless of course it has a trigger config like a firearm instead of a "button" trigger.

jalcon is correct Fox Labs is good. I carry Fox Five Point Three while on duty.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:17 AM   #5
BerdanSS

General public can't legally buy MACE here in Indiana, Only LEAs. Make sure of what your getting, mace is a pretty loose term, it can mean many things including pepper spray....but pepper spray is NOT MACE. Hope that makes sense.

Pepper spray is just that, highly concentrated chemical with the active ingredient form the OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) genus of plants.

"MACE" (while loosely used for other things) is a cocktail of man made chemical.

I would assume "MACE" is much more potent and volatile since it is restricted here. I'm not in favor of key chain sprays, unless they have some kind of REALLY good cap or safety. Tossed in a purse or pocket, could be disastrous. +1 to what Jager78 said......TRAINING. Defensive sprays can be just as hazardous to the user, as it can be to an assailant. Make sure you research the law also. In the world we now live in, one or both of these could have legal repercussions, you want to be prepared and not get blindsided.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:21 PM   #6
MagnumWill

Personally, I would reccomend a taser.

Have you ever been in the vicinity if someone spraying pepper spray? Believe me, it's nothing like the direct, non-room-filling water squirt you see in the movies. If she uses it, your daughter WILL get a face full of it too. Not saying it won't be effective, though. Regardless, I would check out OfficerStore.com, they have a ton of mace, pepper spray, tasers, etc.

My wife used to carry a screamer before I met her. Then she went to a cheap taser, which she felt more comfortable with... But she prefers her Sig Sauer now
Old March 24, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

Zarc Vexor; Sabre Green, Cold Steel Inferno...

I'd suggest the Zarc Industries Vexor Micro-Spin in mark III or mark IV. It's very powerful & in use with a few large LE agencies. Check your local-state laws. You may not be able to own/buy it in some locations.

Sabre's new Green style is hot too. It's a Wasabi type formula in a hot format. I own the Sabre Red Crossfire Mk III now.
Cold Steel's Inferno line is hot & is available to most citizens.

A brand/style with a UV dye(for subject identification) is good.
Many working cops corrections & security guards avoid the foam styles.
Subjects can flick or fling the goo back at you or rub it into you in a confrontation.
Zarc's new R&Ded micro-spin format has merit.
Gel or sticky types aren't bad for indoors(parking units, garages, malls, medical centers).
Have them take a formal class or skill training too. It will build their confidence & if they deploy the OC in a real incident, the training is documented by respected instructor. And yes, OC spray hurts!

CF
www.coldsteelaz.com www.qmuniforms.com www.galls.com www.policehq.com www.uscav.com www.natchezss.com
Old March 25, 2013, 10:03 AM   #8
abherbitter

I agree with MagnumWill. Any kind of aerosol dispersant has the potential to blow back into the user's face. And if used in a confined area the risk of injury to the user goes up dramatically. And a "confined area" can be as much as spraying your attacker while they are quite close to you.

Tazers and Stun Guns are more user-safe. I would probably recommend a stun gun. Contrary to what the name implies, stun guns are the kind that DON'T shoot. Tazers fire two small prongs with electric cables, stun guns have to be pressed against your attacker. In all probability your wife and daughter are more likely to be ambushed, than to see their attackers coming from a distance. This makes the close-quarters stun gun a preferable option.

They make a huge array of these things and many of them are disguised to look like every day items like a smart phone so that you can carry them in the open with out arousing alarm.

I might also suggest getting them interested in firearms. It's not about being cool or having fun, it's about having the ability to save your life. I'm not "interested" in seat belts but I wear one when I'm in the car.

Last edited by abherbitter; March 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Post Script
Old March 25, 2013, 11:12 PM   #9
coachteet

Fox labs.
Old March 26, 2013, 12:59 PM   #10
I'vebeenduped

"I would assume "MACE" is much more potent and volatile since it is restricted here. I'm not in favor of key chain sprays, unless they have some kind of REALLY good cap or safety."

I can chyme in the voice of experience here. I have a keychain bottle on my Camelback for my running days. I noticed that the safety was completely off from simply being shaken about. I have two small boys at home. Fortunately, it was far out of reach for them. Still, I think I will open carry on my run days instead. The only thing is that this stuff is great for feral dogs or dogs whom belong to careless owners and are a bit overly aggressive. Windy days are NOT a good day to use mace!
Old March 26, 2013, 01:41 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

Plus 1, wind, Mace, OC....

As stated, the Mace & some OC formulas may not work correctly in strong winds, outdoors.
The new Zarc micro-spin is a step up, but bear in mind the limits any chemical agent can provide.
I'm not for the "key chain" or purse type deployment systems.
In a real high stress attack, a person will grab the OC or Mace & hose down a attacker or spray the can then flee.
A fluid oz or 1.5oz isn't going to cut it. Unless you are RoboCop or a T-500 Cyborg you'll dump the agent or douse the subject then scoot out.

For ref, I'd suggest reviewing or having your female family members review the recent baseball bat attack in downtown Orlando Fl.
2 young women in a "nice area" were exiting a condo when a whacko with a bat charged at them. Neither woman was armed or had a EDW/chemical agent.
The male(who had a violent criminal record) wore dress clothes too.

It may be on YouTube.com or www.clickorlando.com www.wftv.com .

CF
Old March 26, 2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Toolman

I recently read that wasp/hornet killer (sprays 20ft) works well. you can get it most anywhere.
Old March 27, 2013, 10:01 AM   #13
abherbitter

If dead-set on using mace. I would recommend the gel-foam type.As this will be less likely to blow-back at the user and does a better job of staying where you spray it. They also make versions that contain very very strong dye which will stain the attacker's face making it easier for police to identify them.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-SABMK3GELHUS

(widely available elsewhere, link as example)
Old March 30, 2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Rifleman1952

Fox labs has a very good reputation, and is what I carry. It burns about as hot as pepper spray gets with 5.3 million scoville units.

Last edited by Rifleman1952; March 30, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old March 30, 2013, 09:02 AM   #15
ClydeFrog

Zarc/Vexor....

Zarc's Vexor is a reported 15mil SHU....

That's a spicy meatball!

CF
Old March 31, 2013, 04:10 PM   #16
FireForged

Im not a big fan of anything over 1million and require it to be in a high pressure can with a spring type flip-up top.
Old March 31, 2013, 04:41 PM   #17
ClydeFrog

A good point...

The last post brings up a good point.
OC sprays or chemical irritants(sprays gels etc) can be damaged & wind/heat/humidity may cause problems.

Id buy a can or container to carry & a extra to spray out for training/familarization.

CF