The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 19, 2009, 01:00 AM   #1
Ignition Override

How much would you pay for a good LE #4?

This applies to gun shows and other local transactions in southern cities.
I paid a bit much at the show in July ($300), but the bore/rifling are in really good condition, along with other metal parts. The bolt matches the action.

For just one example, what is the max. you would pay if no parts matched, but bore/rifling are bright with nice metal, just to have second #4
(and already have a good #5)? Provide your own example.
The show is This morning.
Old September 19, 2009, 06:11 PM   #2
TEDDY

LEE #4

I bought one at a gun dept it was and is new $79.
Old September 19, 2009, 06:19 PM   #3
PetahW

I bought a pristine #5 Jungle Carbine for $350, and was glad to get it so inexpensively.
I eventually sold it at a gun show, to an Enfield collector, for $650, since I had added a gennie Brit issue sling to it by then (even if the web sling I added was ca. 1955 ILO a leather 1946 original).

A friend bought what looked like a #5 JC, but was in reality a converted Mark whatever, for $100 at some pawnshop - and years later had a hard time getting $300 for it.

Old September 19, 2009, 09:37 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, I bought No. 4's at $19.99 and SMLE's for $9.95, but that was not last week.

A No. 4 as described would probably be going for around $150-200 depending on the show. No. 5's are going for $500-600 in good shape, and I expect the prices to go up. The demand drives up prices and there is a demand, as shown by the number of fakes.

Jim
Old September 19, 2009, 11:47 PM   #5
Ignition Override

Thanks.
The Memphis/Germantown show today only had one #4 (Savage), listed at about $270, but the single #5 was listed at $350 with better, very good bore/rifling and all nice metal parts/wood. Had three buddies-very experienced with guns-look through the bore at a very bright light for input.

Do you folks mind a question about the bolt head which, unlike my #4 and other #5, has no number inscribed?

The head has a very, very tiny 'heart' shape with "BNP" under it.
The only other hints (for y'all) are at the rear, side of the bolt: "F....5". All part numbers match with "V 450".
Is it likely that this gun is safe to fire partly due to the matching parts, and how the bolt closes, extracts a shell very tightly, with the exact same feel of my other LEs? Won't get to try it anyway for about two weeks, but need to be fairly sure.

Last edited by Ignition Override; September 21, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old September 29, 2009, 03:43 PM   #6
bootleggerspub

BNP

BNP= British Nitro Proof, so your bolt is made for a smokeless .303, not a Metford. Is the Bolt marked with an "S", can be confused with a 5? If so, that is a Savage bolt. I realized just now a No.1 Mk.3 and No.4 Mk.1 bolt are totally different and the No.4 bolt is definitely made for smokeless and apparently has passed proofing. Andy