The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 22, 2016, 04:02 PM   #1
ms6852

An epiphany , NOT panic buying

It is funny how sometimes the answers are staring you right in the face. Lucky for me I frequent this forum. A long time ago I had asked for advice on what to take with me on my RV for protection and I wanted to avoid going to California, but the wife insists since a majority of the national parks she wants to visit are there.

Well luckily I advised another member here who wanted a California compliant 5.56 semi I mention the Smith and Wesson ORC model. ORC stands for optical ready compliant and than it hit me, I should buy it for my RV. Well I did, it is compliant in California and Colorado and has the bullet hole fixed magazine which I easily by-passed with duct tape and a 22 caliber pellet, which will be removed when in Colorado or California.

I mounted the 3X spitfire by Vortex which is quite awesome. Surprisingly I bought two more 10 round magazines which are more expensive than the 30 round. I have an 870 20 gauge pump shot gun which hold 6 + 1, is this legal in California?
Old June 22, 2016, 04:46 PM   #2
Targa

I can't answer for California but I can for Colorado. You can possess a full blown AR here with high capacity mags but you can't purchase the greater than 15 round mags here in the great State of Colorado which is quickly becoming an annex of California.... Just for your info.
Old June 23, 2016, 01:16 AM   #3
ms6852

Thanks
Old June 23, 2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Llama Bob

You don't have to fix the magazine in place in Colorado, but you could potentially be prosecuted for having a >15 round magazine brought in from out of state. AFAIK no one actually has, because old magazines are grandfathered and most magazines don't have any sort of serialization or date code. Everyone's going over the border and buying whatever they want. But you are taking a small legal risk.
Old June 23, 2016, 10:48 AM   #5
MagnumWill

Quote:
AFAIK no one actually has, because old magazines are grandfathered and most magazines don't have any sort of serialization or date code. Everyone's going over the border and buying whatever they want. But you are taking a small legal risk.
I take a small legal risk every day by exceeding the speed limit coming to work every day, and that has a much higher risk of occurring than the magazine "ban" that no PDs are enforcing. I wouldn't be surprised if some of my PD friends have willfully violated the "ban" like everyone else.

And even if magazines have date codes after 2013, you are still allowed to purchase rebuild kits to recondition your magazines . I break mine all the time in 3-gun, I'm reeaal bad at stepping on them inadvertently, you see...

Did you know Denver had a 20-round capacity ban for a long time? That's right, no one cared. The only thing this current "law" does is discourage some internet sellers from shipping complete mags to CO.