The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 27, 2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Trevor S

Marlin 981t or Marlin 60 ?

I am a beginner shooter looking to buy a .22 for bringing to the range. Should I get the Marlin 981t or the Marlin model 60 ?
Old January 27, 2010, 06:00 PM   #2
tightgrouper

I've had a model 60 for 20yrs, and it's been a really good .22.
I can't say anything wrong about it, except for the stock coming off too high. But I've noticed Marlin has remedied that these-days.

I can't speak for the other model, as I have no experience with it.

You won't be disappointed with that litle model 60.
The Ruger 10/22 is another fine shooter. And if memory serves me. You can get a 10/22 for a few dollars less than the Marlin. (a few meaning somewhere around $20, if I remember correctly).

Good luck. Can't go wrong with either.

Be Safe! Teach Safety!
Take handle loosely.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:08 PM   #3
MEATSAW

I am sitting in a similar boat to tightgrouper. My Marlin 60SB has been such an excellent .22 rifle that I recommend it to anyone. Mine as the tubular magazine and while it does take a little longer to load versus a detachable magazine it makes up for it with unerring reliability. I have never had a FTF or FTE. Occasionally I will get a dud round (one that won't fire regardless the number of firing pin strikes) but that is certainly not the rifle's problem. I think its a good looking rifle and it shoots extremely accurate. My only problem with it is that complete dis-assembly is tedious (when you are doing a thorough cleaning of receiver and action).
Old January 27, 2010, 06:09 PM   #4
wingman

For target shooting the 981T is tough to beat,set up with scope very accurate.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:28 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If randomly hurling ammo down range is your thing, the 60... If you like to settle in to nice and slow accurate target shooting... the 981. I feel more "connected" to the overall experience with a bolt gun than a semi...

The 981 is my next .22 as I am tired of the magazine on my savage being in my back on the sling or in my way when going for a rested shot. Tube mags for me from now on!
Brent
Old January 27, 2010, 06:51 PM   #6
kwiebe

Just picked up the 981T and really like it. Can't go wrong, no negatives I can think of at all.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:37 PM   #7
tightgrouper

yeah. My model 60 has the tube mag as well. That's still available.

Be Safe! Teach Safety!
Take handle loosely.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:42 PM   #8
TriumphGuy

I guess that depends on whether you want a semi-auto or a bolt gun. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with either.
Old January 27, 2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Big Bill

I have both. I really like the 981T for accuracy, the bolt action slows it down a bit. But, I also like the 60 for firepower and accuracy. So, take your pick. Either choice will be excellent.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 27, 2010, 10:55 PM   #10
fletchbutt152

M981T

I can shoot out 12ga primers at 25 yrs with a 4 power scope. that being said, my wife likes the semi auto and thus I bought her the twin M60 to my bolt action. Both rifles have the long barrel. I would get whichever one has the longer sight radius. Those 22LR are ment to shoot without a scope, at least sometimes. Gotta have the more accurate one.
Old January 28, 2010, 12:21 AM   #11
Willie D

Is there any way to put a peep sight on the 981t?
Old January 28, 2010, 01:10 AM   #12
blkft1

I've been wondering about that too [Peep sight]. I have a Tech sight set up for a 60 and was wondering if it'll work on a 981T?Too bad theres no 981T's around to find out.
Old January 28, 2010, 05:16 PM   #13
MEATSAW

Quote:
Those 22LR are ment to shoot without a scope
Not entirely. They come from the factory with an integral scope mount on the receiver. Plus ever since I put on a 3-9x40 scope on mine I have found it much easier to consistently hit targets at 100 yards (and beyond when the wind and rain are somewhere else). I couldn't get that same sort of precision (notice I didn't say accuracy) with the stock iron sights.

I can understand your comment somewhat but to say that they aren't meant to be scoped is not so true.
Old February 3, 2010, 04:43 PM   #14
Bama_Flatpicker

I wanted a .22 rifle, mostly for plinking and occasional visits to the range and/or varmint control.
I read online all the Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 60 debates.
It seemed that it came down to
Ruger – can be made better with after-market support
OR
Marlin – better out of the box.
In the end, I made my choice based on availability of a Marlin 60 with traditional wood stock (I didn’t want another plastic gun) at Wal-Mart one evening.
I had a Revelation (Western Auto) version of the Marlin 60 when I was a kid and it never failed me, even with much abuse.
So far (after a few hundred rounds) the NEW Marlin 60 (that I was afraid wouldn’t be as good as the old days) has done amazingly well.
I’m using a cheap Center Point 3-9 x 32 scope on it, and pine cones don’t have a chance, at least out to about 100 yards (I hit 5 of 5 to win an informal “range challenge” last night, using Federal bulk HP ammo.)

Just an opinion: I am well pleased with the Marlin 60.
It may not be match quality, but its intrinsic accuracy is probably better than my personal ability.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:25 PM   #15
TriumphGuy

Quote:
I've been wondering about that too [Peep sight]. I have a Tech sight set up for a 60 and was wondering if it'll work on a 981T?Too bad theres no 981T's around to find out.
I think the difference would be at the front sight. Some of the bolt actions have a different front ramp, if I'm remembering right. Otherwise, it's got the same 3/8" dovetail at the rear.

I'm sure Williams makes a set for them though.
Old February 5, 2010, 05:35 PM   #16
shooter_from_show-me

If you want to spend alot of cash on aftermarket accessories a 10/22 is inline. But if you want a great .22 right out of the box a Marlin 60 is the rifle for you. If you go the Marlin route, please save your self the time and headache of individually dropping rounds down the tube and invest in one of these:

http://www.spee-d-loader.net/

NRA Life Member
Old February 6, 2010, 03:26 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

981t Is a great gun. I sold mine when I put together a match 10/22. Don't regret selling it, but if I wanted to buy a bolt 22 I would almost certainly go with the 981T. It has a rail on it. You can attach a number of peep sights to it. I have one off of my rifle b/c the guy who bought it didn't want it and it will work on a number of rifles. I was thinking about putting it on my 10/22 but decided to go get tech sights. If you are interested let me know.
Old February 6, 2010, 05:09 PM   #18
ThomasT

I have both and am hard pressed to pick a favorite. The 981T has a scope on it and the model 60 doesn't. If I can see it, I can hit it with 60. I just can't see it as far without the scope.

The 60 stays in my truck with a supply of ammo just in case I go somewhere that I can do a little plinking. The 981T is a shooting machine and it deserves to have a scope on it. That is the only way I can shoot it to its potential.

I like the bolt gun because it will shoot all types of ammo. I do shoot CB longs out of the model 60. They won't cycle the bolt but they feed from the tube just fine. It makes it a straight pull bolt rifle. Plus the longs don't make a carbon ring in the chamber like shorts do.
Old February 10, 2010, 05:07 PM   #19
blkft1

"Quote:Blkft1
Quote:TriumphGuy
"I think the difference would be at the front sight. Some of the bolt actions have a different front ramp, if I'm remembering right. Otherwise, it's got the same 3/8" dovetail at the rear.

I'm sure Williams makes a set for them though."

The Tech Sights come with both front and rear so I'm guessing they'll work on a 981T also. I'll probably order the Williams FireSight set and try them both when I get a 981T hopefully this week.As for a decision for the OP on a 981T or Mod60 ,why not get them both!
Old February 11, 2010, 02:51 AM   #20
mxsailor803

personally, i prefer the ruger 10/22. more aftermarket support if you decide modify or upgrade it in the future.
Old February 11, 2010, 05:28 AM   #21
Regolith

.22 bolt guns are a lot of fun. But then, so are semi-autos. Can't go wrong with either.

I just wish they had the 981t with a wooden stock.
Old February 11, 2010, 06:14 AM   #22
CajunBass

It really boils down to do you want a bolt or a semi-auto. Or which is on sale. Or which you like the looks of that day. It's that simple.

You're not going to be using either one of them in any kind of formal target shoothing games, so for all intents and purposes either one will do just fine.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 11, 2010, 03:22 PM   #23
Willie D

I've yet to see one for sale anywhere but Marlin recently released the 981ts: a 981t in stainless!

I'd rather have blued with a wood stock but hey, it's nice to see Marlin doing something to push this rifle.