The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 24, 2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Robk

.22 or larger caliber air guns

So, I have been thinking a bit. .22LR is getting a bit scare in my neck of the woods. That being so, I started thinking of a high power single shot air gun. May need be as powerful as a .22LR rifle due to less "bullet" weight, but still rather nice when rated at 975fps. I have also seen these air rifles in larger claibers, .25,9mm,.357 and 10mm. These are not toys and are probably just a step down from some firearms. Can't tell by the price of some, that's for sure. Anyway, getting back to it. Has anyone had experience with these air guns? Just looking for some more insight.

P.S. If this does borderline to discuss here, I'm OK with having it removed. But a .25 caliber air gun will take small game without issue,so this may have merit to be discussed.
Old March 24, 2014, 08:29 PM   #2
Cowboy_mo

I have "control of" an old Winchester .22 cal air rifle. It belongs to my brother but it has been at my house forever.

It will consistently take small game (rabbits & squirrels) if I do my job. I've never shot it over a chrono but will have to do it now that you mentioned it.

It only requires a single cock of the barrel to compress the air. Benjamin pellets are more accurate than the crossman BUT since the crossman have sharp edges, they may provide better penetration in a hunting situation.
Old March 24, 2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Robk

I never knew Winchester made air rifles. You really have something special there. The new version of air rifles are something to look into. Some have gas filled pistons and can stay cocked for hours upon hours. The claimed power is also something that intrigues me. It will cost me at least $200 to get into a semi decent one. They can go up into the thousands. Crazy to think of for an air gun.
As with my opening statement. Just think how many rounds you could put in your pocket compared to a .22lr. An you may have just as much fun with it also.
If anyone is interested, go to pyramidair.com, some real cool stuff there.
Old March 25, 2014, 08:17 AM   #4
g.willikers

Hey, another person who has discovered airguns.
Welcome to the fold.
They are excellent for training, practice, small game hunting, you name it.
Heck, even large game, with the large caliber versions.
At the range, at and around home, indoors, outdoors, almost anywhere.
Yes, http://www.pyramydair.com/ has it all, and where I get most of my stuff.
Huge inventory, lots of info, and very good service.
The high cost of ammo got ya' down?
Don't have an affordable or accessible range nearby?
Don't sweat it, get an airgun.

Last edited by g.willikers; March 25, 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old March 25, 2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Unlicensed Dremel

If you don't have $3,000 and a lot of patience & time to get an Edgun Matador, then get a Benji Marauder with a short bbl & bullpup stock conversion kit (to emulate a Edgun Matador), in .22 cal, and some 18 gr JSB pellets - you will be one deadly mo-sheen on anything up to rabbit size in a handy, short package. But you will also be out $700-$900 or more by the time you get all that plus the scuba tank and related reservoir-filling gadgets.

Having said that, JSB is coming out with .25 cal pellets, so get your Marauder in either .22 or .25 - and you will be able to get some deadly accurate pellets. The .25 might just allow you to go up to raccoons, skunks, and such with head shots (arguably).
Old March 25, 2014, 11:04 AM   #6
Robk

Seeing as this is my first foray in "real" air guns, I wish to stay on the low side ofr the cash register. Figure $200-$300 is a good starting point. Haven't decided 100% about jumping in, but it looks fun and more affordable in he long run. Did i also mention, pellets are easier to find that .22lr.

I will have to look into the Edgun Matador and see what it is all about. If it warrants it, I may even sell a real handgun to finace it.
Old March 27, 2014, 06:44 AM   #7
Unlicensed Dremel

Subscribe to Ted's Holdover channel on youtube and watch away. He is a deity of sorts. You will enjoy.
Old March 27, 2014, 08:55 AM   #8
darkgael

$ air

Air guns.....I have a few. I decided years ago to go with a large bore PCP gun. I have one in .45 caliber. It shoots the same bullets as my 1911. I cast them....cost is not a factor.
The initial expense is quite high....the guns are not inexpensive and then the means to load air into them is at least as much as the gun.
Once you do that, however, you are independent of the ammo stream forever.
I believe in back up methods and so, in addition to the Scuba tank (and btw, the best choice of tank is for one of the 4200psi carbon fiber babies at $$$$.), i also have a hand pump. Lots of work but I do not need to buy even high pressure air.
Pete
Old March 29, 2014, 08:08 AM   #9
bbqncigars

A good PCP air gun will set you back around $1K once you buy a good hand pump. A Shoebox compressor and small carbon fiber tank will add at least another $1k. Then the only expenditure will be pellets. If you like bullpups for hunting, I'm getting one of these. Airguns can be a very useful small game arm, and they're danged quiet as well.
Old March 29, 2014, 09:44 AM   #10
Devdev08

If you have a cabelas around all the ones I've been to haver there bargain cave and I picked up a nice one says it has 1200fps and it has a nice wood stock and decent scope for $50 new in box. I also ordered one from fingerhut and they had a monthly payment option

Last edited by Devdev08; March 29, 2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old March 29, 2014, 01:44 PM   #11
JD0x0

How about a full auto .22 airgun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p8N5LrM0-M

I want one of these.
Old March 30, 2014, 09:48 AM   #12
Armed_Chicagoan

That reminds me of the "shoot the star" machine bb guns you see at fairs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goJCoW08ySY