The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 9, 2012, 11:56 PM   #1
xplorx4

new to forum

I am new to this site and to ownership of a shot gun having recently purchased a Browning 12ga semiautomatic Light Twelve made in Belgium. I know next to nothing about this gun other than it appears in fairly good shape and I only paid $2.00 for it. I had helped this friend to get sober so when I asked about buying the gun and how much he said the price was "whatever I had in my wallet at the time. Two bucks was it!! The stock is in very good condition and there is a small amount of rust here and there (when I learn how I will post some pictures). Any info would be appreciated.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:14 PM   #2
BigJimP

Welcome....

Here's a manual for it ...that should get you started.

http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/auto5_light_om_s.pdf

If you have some buddies that are into older shotguns / the Auto 5's are going back into production - but its a different mechanical system than they had back in the day - but some of your buddies may give you a hand with it.
If you don't know anyone that is familar with the Auto 5's -- I'd find a gunsmith that is knowledgeable on them ...have him or her - go thru it / check it out - show you how to clean and lube it properly - or they tend to be a "jam O-Matic" ...if you don't know how to take care of them. But properly cared for ...they're still solid shotguns.

You can also go to the Browning website ...and date your gun.

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...index.asp?bg=x
---------------
If you do some searches on the forum ...there is a lot of stuff out there / discussions on the Auto 5's.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Carne Frio

Here is a link to a "BROWNING SHOTGUNS" subforum
that I have found useful for my inherited Belgian A5.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=53
Old September 10, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4
shortwave

First off, Welcome to TFL.

Quote:
and I only paid $2.00 for it. I had helped this friend to get sober so when I asked about buying the gun and how much he said the price was "whatever I had in my wallet at the time.
Kudo's to you for helping your friend. You may have only paid $2.00 for the gun but what you did is priceless. Been there...done that... and am currently doing the same, sadly, with little results.

At any rate, the websight BigJimP gave you should help out a lot.

Is the barrel a fixed choke? Do you know what choke the bbl is?
Old September 10, 2012, 06:14 PM   #5
scottd913

cant help to think... damn every time you go shoot its gonna cost you more in gas than the gun cost not to mention the cost of the shotgun shells......I know!!! just send it to me and you wont have those worries

No really, good buy and of course welcome to the forum we will be more than happy to help you all we can. the afore mentioned web sites seem to be a great place to start. And a fine example of the great guy's here.

I am a Mossberg guy as most here know; but browning is a fine weapon...very fine!!
Old September 11, 2012, 08:39 AM   #6
SauerGrapes

Most of the older Brownings I've seen in your model {and mine}are modified choke. On the right side of the barrel down near the receiver will be "asterisk". Preceeding the writing "special steel-12ga shell" 2 3\4", you will have one of these.

* is full choke
** modified choke
*** improved cly choke

After you've read up about the Auto-5, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old September 11, 2012, 01:43 PM   #7
JimDandy

Aside from the smart things like getting it checked out, learning how to care for it. Have you figured out what you're going to do with it yet? Most "off-season" use for a shotgun is done with clay pigeon games. The most common being a 16 yard trap. 5 folks stand in a line, first guy calls pull(lately Yeah or Yup works better for voice microphone activation), shoots the one orange (usually) frisbee that comes out. Second guy rinses and repeats.

It's a good game to get you started. From there you can progress to other trap games, or other more complicated games.

Generally Trap all fly away from you. Skeet are crossing shots. 5 Stand and Sporting Clays are all over the map.

I recently shot some skeet at a pheasant preserve in Iowa. Lots of fun. I hope to plan on shooting some 5 stand later today, since my local club doesn't have a skeet range.

Best General advice I can give you, beyond the Rules for every Firearm, would be:

For Trap, aim about a foot over the top of the trap house. Soft focus your eyes about 2 feet over that. Watch for the orange blur, swing onto that orange disc, and pull the trigger while swinging through. A shotgun is the original Point And Shoot.
Old September 12, 2012, 11:00 AM   #8
olddrum1

Welcome and many happy returns.
Charlie