The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
dsv424

Want to start loading 5.7 x 28mm

Hey guys I want to start loading 5.7 and was wondering if anyone else has got experience with this caliber. I will be doing this on a Lee classic turret so if you have done this round on this press your knowledge on how you went about it would be greatly appreciated. Including where you got the components and dies to start out with. Thx
Old April 29, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
bfoosh006

Haven't done it...but I would think that trying to handle those tiny bullets would be a PITA.
Old April 29, 2009, 09:32 PM   #3
darkgael

reloading 5.7

I have been reloading this cartridge for a couple of years now.
There is a wealth of info about the how to at the Fiveseven Forum
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/

This is not a cartridge to learn on. It is finicky and very sensitive to small changes of powder. Ten percent on many loads is only 0.6 grain.
The 5-7 pistol operates using a delayed blowback system. The delay is accomplished by using a coating on the cartridge case with causes the case to stick in the chamber a bit longer than it would otherwise. You can't see this coating until it starts to wear off after a few reload cycles. An important result of this delayed system is abnormal case stretching and case head expansion.
CH expansion of 0.0050" is common. The shoulder is frequently blown forward so much that the neck is visibly shortened. This must be returned to normal upon sizing. A common method to return the shoulder to normal requires "overcamming" the press or some other means of taking ALL the slack out of the press/die system.
The pistol likes 40-45 grain bullets but with a 1-8 twist will shoot heavier - though the really heavy bullets take up too much space in the little case and are not practical.
Load data is available from Ramshot and from Accurate. I have used True Blue, AA #7, and HS-6 successfully. SP or SR primers may be used but require adjustments to the powder charge depending.
Pete