The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2009, 09:07 PM   #1
stang46gt

Trip through Maine nets goodies

I am trying to gather all the supplies needed for reloading. I have not reloaded since I was the armorer for the ft bliss marksmanship unit back in the early '80s.

Since I had to go to Northern Maine I figured I would look for stuff. I picked up these primers:
2,000 - sm handgun
1,900 - lg handgun

On the way back I stopped at cabela's and got:

1 - RCBS RC Supreme Master Reloading Kit

1 - Lyman 1200 Pro Tumbler

1 - container corn cob media

1 - set of calipers.

1 - Lyman reloading manual ( the press kit has the speer #14)

I have brass I've been saving from my range trips. Tomorrow I go searching for bullets and die sets and powder. Other than bullets, powder and dies, what else should me on the top of my list?

Any advise is always appreciated.
Old April 29, 2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Dr. Strangelove

Since you bought those primers in Maine, I suggest you send some to me for evaluation prior to loading anything with them. A tray of 100 small pistol should be sufficient for me to evaluate their condition.

"RC Supreme Master Reloading Kit" - guess that kind of says it all, looks like that bad boy includes about everything you'll need for a good while. Have fun and ask questions!
Old April 30, 2009, 06:57 AM   #3
OldShooter

Maine

Don't come to Maine and take my stuff! Most of the shops are sold out of most everything.
Old April 30, 2009, 08:22 AM   #4
stang46gt

Maine

Some of the small, out of the way, shops still have components. Since I am from Maine I consider it fair game.
Old April 30, 2009, 09:04 AM   #5
abber

If your bench has the space, I would definitely get a separate stand for the powder measure. When I decided to start handloading again, I got the same kit you have. Good stuff. I have since upgraded the powder measure with a new rotor, micrometer, powder baffle, and the stand. I also got a Range Master 750 electronic scale, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the other one.

One more thing (which you may already know), is only use carbide die sets. Unless of course you want to hassle with the case lube, and subsequent cleanup. I gave away the lube pad. I've never gone there, and never will.

Don't get in too big a hurry with the hand priming tool. Mine was a little temperamental when it was new. Every now and then, a primer would flip onto its side, and I would have to disassemble the thing to get it out. I just take a quick look at each one now as it comes up in the bore of the tool. It has become a habit, but the tool has broken in nicely, and rarely ever flips a primer any more. Also, just as a preference, I buy 2 each of the shellholders for each caliber I load. One for the priming tool, and one for the press.

Happy loading, and welcome to our addiction.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6
stang46gt

Thanks

Abber, thanks for the great tips. I do have the space to have the powder measure on a seperate stand. I do plan to take my time. The only thing I have taken from the kit is the speer manual. Once I have gone through that I will start to unpack. I do plan to use carbide die but have not found any yet. All in good time.

Thanks again
Old May 1, 2009, 01:24 PM   #7
grymster2007

Sounds like a good start. I don't reload much, but I sure enjoy it when I do and; not a bad capability to have these days.

What does "Northern Maine" mean to you? As a youngster I lived in Caribou for a spell. That's Northern (not to mention freezing cold) Maine to me.

Quote:
Don't get in too big a hurry with the hand priming tool. Mine was a little temperamental when it was new.
My RCBS hand priming tool has worked flawlessly and I understand that most do.
Old May 1, 2009, 02:07 PM   #8
mhburton

Powder Measure upgrade

abber - What parts did you upgrade your rotor etc. with? I bought the same kit a couple of months ago and am not real happy with the repeatability of the thing. I was thinking of buying one of the Redding measures (BR Series) but if there is a cheaper solution I am all ears. I hate to retire an RCBS powder measure that is only 2 months old. I have loaded shotshells off and on for years, but have just gotten started with metallic cartridges after talking about it for years.
I agree 100% on the separate stand & powder baffle. Currently I just pull the die out of the press and screw the dispenser into that hole. I woul rather have the dedicated stand myself. As far as the baffle goes, without one, it takes about 10-15 charges before the weight starts to settle down and get consistent. As the rotor clicks at the ends of the strokes the powder in the reservoir gradually settles and packs down. Once it gets settled the charge weights will even out. Until then they will gradually increase in weight from the first charge which could cause problems if pushing the limits of a load. I will probably just build my own out of some thin sheet aluminum.
I was looking at the Redding beam scale also, since it will indicate 1/10 gr increments above and below the balance line. Looks handy since the RCBS 5-0-5 is not marked and from some I did in my shop the other night takes about twice as much weight difference to get the same amount of displacement from the beam as the Redding Scale.
As far as an electronic scale goes. Which one are most of y'all using? Any Pro/Cons for the particular brands once you have gotten some time in with them?
Old May 1, 2009, 03:08 PM   #9
stang46gt

grymster2007

To me Northern Maine is Presque Isle and Caribou. I frequent Fort Kent as well. The lack of good jobs there keeps me in NH.