The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 1, 2015, 02:35 PM   #51
jimbob86

Quote:
A guy doesn't need to be shooting 'The Nationals' to have fun shooting.

....nor to get better.

I suggest you get as good as you can get with the rifles you have.

Quote:
"...What gun caliber to get if you already have a..." Rifles are tools. You need to decide what you want to do with the tool.
There's not much that needs doing that your current guns can't do adequately, if you are up to it.
Old February 1, 2015, 02:49 PM   #52
zachattack2

BartB. I was talking about a magazine. I'm not sure if you can use stripper clips In a Remington 700? Can you?

I'm pretty sure the Remington 700 has a floor plate. Not a magazine.
Old February 1, 2015, 02:59 PM   #53
jimbob86

zach, magazines can be internal, like the standard Remmy 700 ..... or external, which I think the "kwik clip" gizmo adapts the 700 for......

Around the gun community, "clip" generally refers to a piece of metal that keeps cartridges together in line, so they can be easily loaded into an internal (or external) magazine ..... think "stripper clip" or the en bloc clip for the Garand.

Last edited by jimbob86; February 1, 2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old February 1, 2015, 03:09 PM   #54
zachattack2

Ok thanks Jim bob but isn't it called like the floor plate or something like that?
Old February 1, 2015, 03:23 PM   #55
jimbob86

Many magazines, both internal and external, have a "floorplate". The one on the curren Model 700BDL :

Quote:
The Model 700 BDL features a hinged magazine floorplate
The hinged floorplate makes it easy to empty the magazine without chambering all the rounds..... just push the little button on the side at the rear, and the floorplate swings out, dumping all the cartridges.

The one on my 50's vintage Model 721 is fixed, held on by screws. I gotta work the bolt and strip the cartrides from the mag, one at a time.

The floorplates on many external magazines (USGI M-16/AR-15, Wilson 47-D's for the 1911, Ruger MK22/45...) can be removed so the mag can be disassembled for cleaning. IDK what the Glock guys do ..... maybe they put them in the dishwasher when mamma's not looking?
Old February 1, 2015, 03:26 PM   #56
zachattack2

Ok thanks Jim bob, I think I know what you mean by floor plate, I wasn't so sure what it was, my brother owns a Mosin nagant and the floor plate you pop of to unload the mag.

Thanks again,
Zach
Old February 1, 2015, 07:47 PM   #57
Lucas McCain

to replace a barrel, say you get a used one for $75. It will have to have a smith take the old one off, unless you have access to a action wrench and a barrel vice, and the replacement barrel will have to be installed and set of head space. that will require some machine work and that will run in $250 range, give or take $50.

Take a look at a savage. That gun is much easier to switch barrels on. No machining required. All you need is a barrel nut wrench, head space gauge and your in business. There is a lot of advantages in having a switch barrel gun.
Old February 1, 2015, 08:36 PM   #58
zachattack2

Lucas, yes the savage guns are easier to switch the barrel but if I don't need to switch the barrel of the Remington 700 ADL which I hope I wont for years the Remington 700 ADL is a better overall gun than a savage for the price.
Old February 1, 2015, 08:40 PM   #59
Bart B.

zachattack2,

Remington 7XX rifles have had a clip guide milled into the front of their receiver bridge for decades. Made 'em look just like Winchester 70 National Match rifles that had one. Later Rem 40X match rifles had them as well as some other standard bolt action rifles.

Otherwise, a clip guide was screwed onto the bridge.

Here's some pictures of Remingtons with clip guides milled into their bridge:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=clip+...+remington+700

First one in the upper left hand corner is a screw-on type fitted to the bridge.

Fourth row down has a picture of a loaded 5-round stripper clip ready for a thumb to push the rounds down into the magazine.

Most of these were designed so after charging the magazine with 5 rounds, the bolt was closed and that pushed the empty clip out the top so it fell to the ground.
Old February 1, 2015, 09:21 PM   #60
precision_shooter

Quote:
the Remington 700 ADL is a better overall gun than a savage for the price.
I'm curious to know why?

Years ago this was probably true...Not nowadays.

Ever since a remington was bought by Freedom Arms Group, who also owns Marlin, Bushmaster, and many others, they have struggled with quality control issues across all of the manufacturers they own.

Among most shooters nowadays, for Remington's to equal an out of the box Savage, will typically require a new trigger ($100+), bedding the action, and free floating the factory stock or replacing it with a good aftermarket stock.

Remington has a bigger list of aftermarket parts available, but Savage is catching up.

Nobody takes a stock Remington 700 of any model and wins 1,000 yard matches... Remington was the rifle of choice for a long time. For a long time there weren't many other choices like there is today.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 1, 2015, 09:49 PM   #61
zachattack2

Quote:
Years ago this was probably true...Not nowadays.
Yes but the Remington 700 ADL is a old model I'm pretty sure they stopped making them a while ago.

And like you said Remington has more parts available right now but savage barrels are easy to put on.

I am not going to go in competitions with this gun, and if I did I would by some better stuff for it. And I don't think I am going to go in completions that often or at all,if I did I would buy a better gun for it and maybe spend 1,000 not 450.

Zach
Old February 2, 2015, 07:11 AM   #62
Snyper

Quote:
Nobody takes a stock Remington 700 of any model and wins 1,000 yard matches...
I suspect it doesn't happen with Savage either.

The ones winning matches seem to be the factory team, and you will never convince me those guns were randomly picked off the assembly line

Also, the guns that win are the ones that were designed as competition guns, while few other companies market a specialized "target" version.
Old February 2, 2015, 08:29 AM   #63
precision_shooter

Quote:
Also, the guns that win are the ones that were designed as competition guns, while few other companies market a specialized "target" version.
Few, if any, other companies can build a rifle that shoots as well as the Savage's for the same price.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 2, 2015, 08:40 AM   #64
Doyle

Quote:
the Remington 700 ADL is a better overall gun than a savage for the price.
Old February 2, 2015, 11:56 AM   #65
Saltydog235

Remington's issues aren't with the barrel or the actions in stock form. Remington's issues are with the triggers and stocks that come on their lesser configuration of the action. A 700 action is a 700 action, the fit and finish are different throughout the lines offered.

I've never had a Remington that wouldn't shoot decently out of the box. I've had a few with stocks that aren't fit for a BB gun and the triggers have all sucked.

The one great thing about the 700 action is the wealth of components you can change out or add to make them better over time. Also the number of options you have to make them what you want over time. Almost every smith out there customizes the 700 and can work on them to build what you want. Buy the cheap version to start with and as your finances allow, you can make it what you want. You can't do that as easily with say a Ruger American or similar action.
Old February 2, 2015, 12:18 PM   #66
olddav

zachattack2,
Sounds like your sold on the Remington 700 ADL, if so I say go for it. There is only one thing that about the rifle that keeps me from following your example and that is the cost of replacing the barrel. If or when you wearout the barrel (could take years) replaceing it will not be cheap. Aftermarket barrel are expensive and adding the cost of a gunsmith to the process makes me breakout in a cold sweat, but thats just me. With barrel life in mind shoot it often, toys are just no fun unless your playing with them.
Old February 2, 2015, 12:25 PM   #67
jimbob86

Quote:
I've never had a Remington that wouldn't shoot decently out of the box. I've had a few with stocks that aren't fit for a BB gun and the triggers have all sucked.
All the Lawyerproof Remington triggers suck.

The original Walker triggers are great....... properly adjusted and kept clean, they are perfectly safe, too.
Old February 2, 2015, 03:20 PM   #68
zachattack2

Quote:
All the Lawyerproof Remington triggers suck.
The trigger that comes with the remington 700 ADL May not be as good as the savage trigger and the stock might not be quite as good but the action and everything else is better.

You can eaisaly buy a new stock or trigger for the Remington 700 ADL and make it a way better gun than the savage overall.

Sincerely,
Zach
Old February 2, 2015, 03:24 PM   #69
zachattack2

Precision shooter, I do not want to do any competitions with this gun.

Snyper, I agree how much better is the savage for competitions.
Old February 2, 2015, 03:53 PM   #70
Saltydog235

Quote:
You can eaisaly buy a new stock or trigger for the Remington 700 ADL and make it a way better gun than the savage overall.
Not really. I own both, and they both shoot about the same. The big difference is I have about $1500.00 in the Remington to get it where I wanted. I have $750 in the 10 Precision Carbine and $675 in the 10 Predator Hunter and they shoot the same MOA as the 700 out to 500yds.
Old February 2, 2015, 04:01 PM   #71
precision_shooter

Quote:
The trigger that comes with the remington 700 ADL May not be as good as the savage trigger and the stock might not be quite as good but the action and everything else is better.

Sincerely,
Zach
Ok, so we have established you want a Remington 700, great, by all means get the 700.

But you still haven't answered the simple question: "What makes the action and everything else better"?

Is this personal preference/opinion? That's fine, everyone has them.
Is it you were brought up hearing this from a relative, so it has to be true now as it may have been when they were growing up?

I'm a Savage Fan, I have no problem admitting that. I have tried rifles from most major manufacturers, including Remington. I had the most problems from Remington. Every Savage I have owned has been great, quality-wise and accuracy-wise.

Every Mfg has their fans. My point is, if you haven't ever tried something other than Remington, how do yo know it's the "best"? Just trying to open your mind a little to other possibilities so as not to limit you to "what you're used to", but habits are hard to break.
Old February 2, 2015, 04:06 PM   #72
Snyper

Quote:
Few, if any, other companies can build a rifle that shoots as well as the Savage's for the same price.
No one else builds a rifle like the Savage, which was designed especially for F Class

You can't compare a purpose built rifle to everyone else's hunting rifles and expect them to be equal.

I still haven't seen any documentation that they win more than any other brands.

All I ever see is talk about the "Team Savage", or praise from their fans

You'd think all the top competitors would use them, or at least use the barrels, but they don't:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/1...-the-pros-use/
Old February 2, 2015, 04:17 PM   #73
zachattack2

It seems like everybody likes the savage? Personally I like Remington so I didn't consider the savage that much maybe I should do some research about the savage.
Old February 2, 2015, 04:21 PM   #74
zachattack2

Precision shooter, it seems like you like the savage guns a lot and researched about them and I was looking at cabelas and the only one for around 450 is 410 and it's the savage 11 prairie dog bolt action, but it has no scope.
Do you know any savage Bolt action guns you recommend??

How about you Snyper? Any recommendations?

Anybody else have any?
Old February 2, 2015, 04:36 PM   #75
Snyper

I have three Remingtons that will do sub-moa, and one is just like it came from the factory. One is a thin barreled Model 7 in it's original wood stock

The other two I spent maybe 50 cents each for the Epoxy it took to bed the actions

I also have a Browning that shoots sub-moa with no modifications, and I know lots of people with both brands that do the same

You don't have to make a lot of changes to get very accurate rifles

People often do that without even trying the guns as they are.

It's "cooler" if you have a Timney trigger and an HS Precision stock, but it's really not needed