The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2009, 11:57 AM   #1
rickdavis81

Trouble patterning turkey gun

I went out to pattern my shotgun for turkey season today and all shots were centered to the left about 8 inches at 35 yards. I was using a stoeger p350, 28" barrel with the full choke that came with it. I was shooting Winchester Supreme 3.5 #4's and Remington Nitro 3.5 #5's. I've used this gun duck hunting and trap shooting and it shoots fine for me and shoots straight then. I've been using Carlson chokes every other time but was just going to use the factory choke for turkey. Should I purchase a different choke. Don't know if that can throw my shot off center or not.Any suggestions?
Old April 15, 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Doyle

Here's a quick test to see if your choke is "off center". Take your choke tube wrench and make sure your choke is in firmly. Shoot one shot. Now, take the wrench and back the choke out exactly 1/2 turn. Shoot again. If it is the choke that is off, you'll see the pattern shift to the opposite side of where it was off before. If it is still off in the same place, then your barrel is slightly bent.
Old April 15, 2009, 04:02 PM   #3
bcarver

Point of aim

patterning and point of aim are different.
If it is not the choke you have two options that I know of.
Bending the barrel and installing sights/scope.