The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2011, 07:39 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

XS Skeet marked XS

I am looking to buy a new Citori XS Skeet and the one I have located puzzles me. "XS Skeet" is engaved in gold on the receiver. However, the receivers pictured in the 2011 Browning catalogue and on line only say "XS". Does anyone have an explanation for the discrepancy?
Old November 3, 2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Technosavant

The "Trap" Model is now called the XT.
Old November 3, 2011, 08:18 PM   #3
oregunner

I have the 2007 and the 2010 Browning catalogs and in these the XS Skeet gun only has "XS" on the receiver. The XS Special says "XS Special" If you are looking for a skeet gun and it says skeet on it, I'm thinking it's a skeet gun. Maybe call Browning. Or, you could check the serial number on the Browning website and it should show the year and model. Here is a pic that I found that looks like it says XS Skeet
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W01204%20CITORI%20XS%20SKEET.jpg (94.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by oregunner; November 3, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old November 3, 2011, 08:30 PM   #4
oneounceload

Maybe it is not a 2011 model
Old November 3, 2011, 09:28 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

That is what I have been wondering, whether it is an older model than 2011. I can't make out too well what it says on the one in the picture oregunner found, but it looks like that. Heck, if it is a 2010 model and the price is reduced accordingly, who cares as long as it has tall the same attriburtes. No, oneounce, they won't plug up the barrel ports.
Old November 3, 2011, 09:38 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Three years old at least

It may be new, but the model may be as old as 3 years. That is when (Feb 2008) this video was posted of a gun that looks exactly like it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe18_l5zDhk
Old November 3, 2011, 10:10 PM   #7
ripnbst

I was also going to say it is very possible that you could have bought a gun new in 2011 that was a 2010 model.
Old November 3, 2011, 10:16 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

You are right, ripnbst, but I haven't bought it yet. I have had it put in the back room for 48 hours why I decide if I want it. The salesman also said he thought it came with 5 chokes. He may be wrong, but the 2011 model comes with only 3. If I have any question as to what it is, I will take oregunner's suggestion and match the serial number to the year of manufacture.

I know one thing, the wood on this one is gorgeous.
Old November 4, 2011, 09:19 AM   #9
oneounceload

My Brownings all came with three - field were flush-mounted IC, M, F; target were flush-mounted SK, IC, M - my understanding is now the target guns at least come with extended tubes

I added Briley extended chokes and do not use the flush factory ones that came with the gun
Old November 4, 2011, 11:20 AM   #10
BigJimP

XS Skeet model ( not sure when / or if the marks on receiver changed / or if its a misprint in catalog photo ) - but the model comes with 3 chokes - all flush - and Invector Plus - 2 Skeet and one Imp Cyclinder.

The only guns currently coming with extended chokes - are some of the 625 series / and the XS Special series.

The Citori XT Trap comes with flush chokes too - Invector Plus - 2 Full and one Improved Mod.

If the wood on the XS Skeet model you found is great --- go with it / and don't look back - as you know, I think its a great all around gun.

You can date - from the serial number code...if it matters to you / but I don't see any reason to worry about it - a new gun, is a new gun regardless of when it was built. I doubt any dealer will negotiate price based on when it was made - unless Browning made the dealer a special deal on the gun to clear out some inventory - and then hopefully he would pass some portion of his savings on to you in terms of the deal. Good luck on this gun.

Last edited by BigJimP; November 4, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old November 4, 2011, 02:43 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

It has a 2006 manufacturing date. The functional difference between it and the current model is that the older one is backbored but it does not have lengthened forcing cones.