The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which and Why?
Used Browning Citori 12g 28inch barrels 34 87.18%
New CZ Redhead Deluxe 12g 28inch barrels 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 12, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
notlikeyou

First O/U poll

Which would you go with and why?

Used Browning Citori 12g 28inch barrels

OR

New CZ Redhead Deluxe 12g 28inch barrels

Difference in price is negligible.

I would be using it for Trap and Skeet.

Last edited by notlikeyou; October 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: details
Old October 12, 2013, 05:43 PM   #2
eastbank

i own four brownings ,a citori upland special 12ga 2-3/4 with 24" tubed barrels, a citori hunter 12ga 3"mag with 26" tubed barrels, a BT-100 with 34" ported tubed barrel with adjustable comb and a 20ga 3"mag BSS sporter with 28" non tubed barrels.and have not had one lick of trouble after shooting many thousands of shells and if i do i know i can get them serviced localey(a browning service and repair station is 46 miles away). i would rather buy a used browning than a new cz shotgun. now you know i,m a browning fan. eastbank.
Old October 12, 2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Virginian

Neither. I am not an O/U lover, but I definitely prefer the feel of the Berettas.
Old October 12, 2013, 07:01 PM   #4
PetahW

The Browning..................................

If you have to be told "why", you wouldn't understand

If you understand "why", you don't need to be told.

Old October 12, 2013, 07:04 PM   #5
vandyatc

First O/U poll

Definitely the Browning. It will never lose a dime in value and will be a better gun now and 10,000 rounds from now.
Old October 13, 2013, 07:49 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

10,000 rounds, the Browning Citori should not need a tune up till long after 150,000 rounds.
CZ's are still a unknown quantity as to how long they will last. The Brownings and the Charles Daly's (early ones) are made by B.C. Miroku a well known established company known for quality.
Old October 13, 2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Willie Lowman

Browning
Old October 13, 2013, 08:21 AM   #8
BigD_in_FL

No question - the Browning. A known entity from a quality standpoint; with a modicum of care will last many generations. The Japanese build a consistent and reliable gun
Old October 13, 2013, 03:28 PM   #9
BigJimP

+1 on the Browning comments...there are a lot of models of the Citori these days...but they all share one very big thing / a really solid barrel to receiver connection / and 250,000 plus shell reliability....neither of which any CZ can make a claim to ...now, or in the future, in my opinion....
Old October 13, 2013, 07:35 PM   #10
mxsailor803

To me, the Browning just feels better than the CZ. No idea how the CZ shoots but I love my Citori.
Old October 13, 2013, 07:51 PM   #11
Bowhunter57

Of the choices provided, I'll go with the Browning.

I couldn't bring myself to spend close to a grand (or more) for a shotgun. So, I've only owned one O/U and it was a Russian Baikal IZH-27.

Since it cost $350, I wasn't expecting much other than an "entry level" O/U, but I found much more. Standard features were things like a chrome-lined bore, cast on or off stock (depending on how you ordered it), recoil pad, eject or extract option and some very nice Russian walnut on the stock.

Bowhunter57
Old October 13, 2013, 08:40 PM   #12
Ricklin

I too would recommend the Citori. For both trap and skeet gun fit will make or break your success. If the CZ fits you a lot better, that might sway my opinion.

Whichever one you choose make sure it fits, or modify it until it does. You will see more X's on your scorecard with a well fitted gun.

Gun fit is not a "nice to have" thing in the clay target sports, it's a requirement.

In addition to lower scores a poorly fitted gun will really beat you up too, esp in the 12 gauge. Trap and skeet loads are relatively light, but the sheer volume takes it toll.
Old October 13, 2013, 10:36 PM   #13
Arizona Fusilier

I'm a Beretta guy myself. CZ makes great guns, but from all my shooting friends in the bird field, Browning is the thing to have between the two.

I agree about the fit, however. If you get a used one "for a steal", putting a little money into it would be worthwhile thing.
Old October 14, 2013, 07:31 AM   #14
eastbank

i shoot clay games at 5 clubs and have let other shooters shoot a round with my brownings and they all have hit more birds than with their shotguns,the BT-100 really shines on the trap range. to see a novice trap shooters face light up after seeing them hit 19-20 out of 25 with the BT when they were only hitting 12-14 out of 25 with their own gun is worth it to me. for me a morgan pad or a adjustable comb makes the hits come easier. prarice,pratice,gun fit and more pratice. eastbank.
Old October 14, 2013, 08:44 AM   #15
TomADC

Browning because they are made by BC Miruko who also made my 2 Charles Daly skeet guns, I also like my SKB 505.
Old October 15, 2013, 09:20 AM   #16
gmerz

While the CZ's don't match the build quality of a Browning, I bought a Redhead Deluxe about two months ago and for the reduced investment I'm impressed with the gun. I had a mid-bead and a good recoil pad added as I use for it for busting clays most of all. It fits me well and I'm liking the trap scores.
Old October 30, 2013, 09:05 PM   #17
Ricklin

Choke tubes?

If you plan on trap AND skeet screw in chokes are really a requirement. If the Citori is a fixed choke gun, that would be a deal killer for me.

Trap and skeet are pretty close to opposites with regard to choke. Shooting skeet with a full choke will either make you a very good shot, or a very frustrated shooter. The latter is more likely for a newer shooter.

Trap chokes tend to run tight like Imp. mod or full. Skeet chokes are much more open Either skeet specific or Imp. Cylinder.

Same target, very different games.
Old October 31, 2013, 03:08 AM   #18
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
If the Citori is a fixed choke gun, that would be a deal killer for me.
Not for me... Send it to Briley and have it threaded for chokes.. Problem solved
Old October 31, 2013, 08:33 AM   #19
BigD_in_FL

^^^yep, or Mike Orlen, or George Trulock or a host of others
Old October 31, 2013, 09:32 AM   #20
myfriendis410

If you have to send it to Briley then factor in the extra $400 for the machine work and chokes. Probably better off finding the right gun to begin with.
Old October 31, 2013, 11:48 PM   #21
Ricklin

Yep, and you can bet the Citori will be pricey to add chokes to. Those thin wall Italian barrels are excellent, but they also will be pricey to add choke tubes.

I had a Win 101 that I really liked, but was not about to dump another 400 plus to have Briley do their thinwall chokes. Mike could not do it, as good as he is. Briley was the only choice.

Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done. Hell you won't be far off the price of a new Citori by the time you add chokes to an old one.
Old November 1, 2013, 04:32 AM   #22
darkgael

Vitoria

The Browning....for all the reasons mentioned.

And
Quote:
Yep, and you can bet the Citori will be pricey to add chokes to. Those thin wall Italian barrels are excellent, but they also will be pricey to add choke tubes.
Italian barrels? Somebody has not been reading these posts carefully.
pete
Old November 3, 2013, 09:38 AM   #23
Ricklin

OK Japanese barrels............
Still betcha a dollar to a donut that it will take expen$ive thin wall chokes to add them.

In fact my former 101 was also those thin Japanese barrels.

That route could make sense if the purchase price is low enough, or the gun is otherwise perfect, or it's a heirloom that you wish to use.

Does not change my point one iota.