The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 31, 2001, 02:01 PM   #1
GunreviewWebmaster

I am in the process of working on a large (nearly 100 page) handgun website. Once it is done (probably 2-3 months), I will post the link here on TFL. What I need is more pictures of the models and non-biased reviews from real owners. I do not want to use the same boring ones that the manufactures use (one reason is it would require getting permissions on every picture). I ask that any of you all willing to share pictures and/or gun reviews of the following handgun models please email me the review or picture attachment. In return, I will give you the option for your name to be put on my credits page or I can link to your homepage. Here are the models I need pictures and MORE reviews (good or bad):

Glock (17,19,21,22,23,26,27,30)
Ruger (SP,GP,RH,SRH,89,90,944,95,97,Mk II)
NAA (Guardian, mini-revolvers)
Sig Sauer (220,226,229,232,245)
CZ (75,97)
S&W (686,3rd Gen)

Here is how I am asking people to review (5 stars is top score):

Categories:
Reliability (1-5 stars)
Accuracy (1-5 stars)
Durability (1-5 stars)
Rust Resistence (1-5 stars)
Ergonomics (1-5 stars)
Pointability (1-5 stars)
Trigger Pull (1-5 stars)

Plus a paragraph explaining the above ratings. I usually can tell the difference between a reasonable review and an unreasonable one. For example, anyone who gives an NAA mini revolver 5 stars for accuracy is not submitting a reasonable review. .

I am toying with the idea of also going into unfamilar territory (HKs and Berettas).

So far, I have almost 20 pages done, and at current pace I think the site will be public in 2-3 months.

One other thing I want to add. This applies to those who asked me to link to their homepage to give credit. I will NOT link to any website that has profanity or contains any objectionable material. So far, this does not apply to anyone on TFL (nobody I recognize at TFL has objectionable material in their homepage as of yet), but I have had to turn down a couple people from other boards who asked me to link to their homepage. Warning: I will screen any homepage that I am asked to link to before posting. This is going to be treated as a family oriented website and I will NOT link to any objectionable material.

[Edited by GunreviewWebmaster on 04-12-2001 at 10:30 PM]
Old April 9, 2001, 11:48 PM   #2
Incursion

Sounds great. Yes, get HKs in there!
Old April 9, 2001, 11:56 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Check your email...
Old April 10, 2001, 01:37 AM   #4
Herr Walther

Let me know when you decide to create a section about Walthers.
Old April 10, 2001, 11:35 AM   #5
GunreviewWebmaster

Thanks for the suggestions George Hill. Your advice is very helpful.
Old April 10, 2001, 11:58 AM   #6
GunreviewWebmaster

Incursion,

You are in luck!

So far, there is little demand for S&W. I am seriously considering canning S&W and replacing it with HK. So many people are ticked off with S&W that people have actually sent me nasty emails for even considering reviewing them!
Old April 10, 2001, 01:28 PM   #7
Drizzt

All I've GOT are HKs and Berettas.....
Old April 10, 2001, 01:28 PM   #8
Christopher II

My CZ-75b review is on the way.

Later,
Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old April 13, 2001, 12:53 PM   #9
GunreviewWebmaster

Update:

After many people have asked me to include HK and Beretta, I officially decided to in fact include both. HK and Beretta will be added. Feel free to send reviews/pictures of both Beretta and HK. Also, I am going to make changes in the layout as suggested by George Hill (TFL administrator). The changes and additions will move the date of completion to approx Sep 1, 2001.
Old April 13, 2001, 01:01 PM   #10
oweno

Over the past few years, the Makarov has become very popular (You've probably noted a steady stream of postings and requests for Mak info on TFL).

Would you consider adding the Mak to your list?

Owen
Old April 13, 2001, 01:11 PM   #11
GunreviewWebmaster

I am trying to keep the number of gun makes down for both simplicity and disk space (I only allowed 20 MB of server space). The pictures alone take up a lot of space. The more I have to add, the longer the finish date will be. If enough people want a Makarov, I will consider it, but at this point it is unlikely to happen. In the future, I will consider creating a smaller site on another server for Maks and other guns that get left off this one. I am always willing to be flexible.
Old April 13, 2001, 01:48 PM   #12
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Or find a server that serves bigger slices of the net pie...
Old April 13, 2001, 04:20 PM   #13
Drundel

Check out http://www.50megs.com
they give you (you guessed it) 50 megs of space.

Texas A&M University
Proud member of the Fighting Class of '00
Old April 13, 2001, 04:26 PM   #14
GunreviewWebmaster

That looks very promising Drundel. I am going to look into it. If they are as user friendly as the server I am using now, I will make the switch......
Old April 13, 2001, 04:40 PM   #15
GunreviewWebmaster

Done

I signed up with them. I will transfer over the files from the old one to the new one.

I still am not planning to cover every make of handgun. There is not enough demand, and the completition time would likely skyrocket (I am the only one working on this project). As is, I the completion date has gone from 2-3 months to possibly six months! I will try to fit in every make that is in demand, but I cannot possibly include every single maker......
Old April 14, 2001, 11:06 PM   #16
Jorah Lavin

GRW, don't wait until you are "done" with the site...

...or you will be waiting forever. As soon as you get the look and feel and one or two main sections done, let us in on the secret... if you are getting good feedback from visitors, your energy level will be a lot higher, too. Forget six months; you've set yourself up for a lifetime job!

-Jorah

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
Old April 18, 2001, 11:03 PM   #17
GunreviewWebmaster

Update

I have got a lot done today and found a better way of updating the site (Templates). My server doesn't accept Virtual Includes so it took a while to convert my format using Templates (which I had to learn on the spot). Anyway, now that I have a better system going, I think I will have the product finished sooner than expected. I have decided that I will add more manufactures on a later date (BHP, Taurus, Springfield, and Kimber) are possibilities but I will consider others too if I get enough feedback. The 8 gun makes I am currently working on are about 1/2 way done.

GRW