The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 15, 2007, 03:53 PM   #1
brendon_corbitt

Moving with an SBR, and subsonic ammo question

So I have a few questions, if any of them are too stupid just point and laugh, I'm a noob on some topics

I am going to use the trust method to make a SBR project out of my krinkov once I get home from Iraq. I'm going to be doing the apartment thing for a few years since I don't quite yet have enough money saved up for a house. I'm still a youngin, early to mid 20's.

1. I'm not going to submit the Form 1 until I am back home and settled into my apartment, but with something like an apartment you never know when you'll need to move to a different one within the same city. If I have a registered SBR and have to move to a different address within the same city is there any process I have to go through with the ATF?

2. I have read about people making trusts with their wife or other family member, or even themselves as the trustee. My parents live on a farm about half an hour from the city I am going to be working in, and my understanding is that if they are listed as the trustee the SBR can be stored there in their possession as well (which would work out great since I go to their farm to shoot, the dam at our pond makes an excellent back stop). If there is a process to go through when I move, and had to unexpectedly move, would it be ok to simply store the rifle at their residence until I could get everything straightened out with my change of address?

3. Assuming I do get the approval to shorten my Krinkov, do I have to do that myself or can I have a gunsmith do it? I had somebody tell me that I have to do the work myself, but they were just going off of memory. I'm by no means a gunsmith, I pretty much just know how to field strip all of my firearms, so that could be a problem for me.

4. I tend to think ahead a lot, and once I get my Krink SBR project completed I'm considering a SBR MP-5 clone and a suppressor. One of the guys in my squad came up with a question I wasn't sure about though. Would a MP-5 clone be able to push out a subsonic 9mm round without any problem or would any work have to be done on it to make it easily fire subsonic rounds?
Old September 15, 2007, 09:06 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Quote:
Assuming I do get the approval to shorten my Krinkov, do I have to do that myself or can I have a gunsmith do it? I had somebody tell me that I have to do the work myself, but they were just going off of memory. I'm by no means a gunsmith, I pretty much just know how to field strip all of my firearms, so that could be a problem for me.
You HAVE TO do it, unless your gunsmith is a SOT FFL holder. If he is not, then when you leave the gun with him, he would be in illegal posession of a SBR.
Old September 15, 2007, 09:54 PM   #3
brendon_corbitt

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Is it merely an issue with leaving the firearm with a normal FFL? Because there is an FFL dealer that lives close to me that I have known for years and has helped me with some AR and shotgun projects. So what if I were to bring it to his shop and he and I worked on it together, is there any problem with him doing work on it so long as I am there and take it with me when I leave?
Old September 15, 2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

1. You must notify ATF of your new address. They like to know where NFA items are supposed to be located.

2. You can store you NFA items with a friend, relative or in a paid storage location. The NFA item must be locked in a container that only you have the key. The people you are storing it with must not have the ability to open the container. You must inform ATF in writing where and with who you are storing the items. It is a good idea to leave a copy of your Form 4's with the people storing your items in case of trouble.

3. Take the gun apart and keep the receiver at home. Give the gunsmith the upper/barrel to cut for you. Only the receiver is considered a firearm and without it, the gunsmith cannot be said to be in possession of a SBR.

On a just for information note, you can leave your NFA item with a gunsmith for repairs. He does not need any special license, SOT or paperwork because ATF does not consider it a transfer. ATF does recommend doing a Form 5 transfer to the gunsmith, but it is not required.

4. Yes, it will work fine. In the MP5SD (integral suppressed MP5), the barrel is perforated along its length which will act to slow a standard 9mm round to subsonic speeds.

NRA Life Member