The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 17, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1
blackdog_507

Wanting to buy an auto trap thrower

I've been shooting trap at the local club, and back yard clay birds for a long time. I recently shot a sporting clays course about an hour from my home town and really enjoyed it. One of their stations was an auto trap that went side to side and up and down. I've been doing some research online and found some auto traps. Looks like I have to buy the trap, an "oscillating base" (side to side?), and a "wobbler base" (up and down?). Anyone have any good suggestions on brands or models. I'd like to keep it as reasonable as possible, we're just talking about back yard shooting. Any help on buying an auto trap?
Old July 17, 2010, 10:51 AM   #2
noyes

I use this one http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...prodID=CM40910

Friend added the oscillating base to his.

Works very well.
No complaints ..About 10,000 clays thrown , probaly more than that...just FUN , FUN , and TONS more FUN.

Last edited by noyes; July 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old July 17, 2010, 11:05 AM   #3
oneounceload

Wobble traps are available from a lot of makers - most of them are used for commercial purposes like the club you visited and can get somewhat pricey.

If you want the commercial version, you might ask some of the clubs if they are upgrading and maybe you can get used one.

http://www.howellshootingsupplies.com/350749.html

If you look at the brand names on the left, you'll see other makers of traps as well
Old July 17, 2010, 11:37 AM   #4
blackdog_507

Is there a base that does both, up and down and side to side? Do I have to buy both bases to get truly random target presentation? Seems like the trap is a few hundred, and each the oscillating and wobbler is another couple hundred. Pretty pricey.
Old July 17, 2010, 12:07 PM   #5
noyes

Not that i known of.

With your own machine you the shooter can move around the thrower to get different target presentation or move the thrower. Like set it out in the field so the clays are thrown toward you in stead of away from you ( the remote control would come in handy for that ) .

Tags
shotgun , skeet , sporting clays , trap