The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 17, 2002, 02:56 PM   #1
Seeker

Chechen Weapons

Found a great site on Chechen Weapons - especially edged weapons.

Unfortunatly it is in Russian. I used www.worldlingo.com to translate.

From what I was able to gather the Chechens were very serious about their blades. There were legends/stories of blades easily cutting through guns, armour, other blades and earth/ground(hard to understand from the translation - maybe stone).
Quote:
capable of cutding into two the blade of enemy, horse together with the rider
Interestingly their traditional "dagger" (60 cm in length - seems like a rather large dagger) was very similar to the Roman Gladius.

I would like to have read more at this site but in some cases www.worldlingo.com would only translate the first few pages of some of the sections. Anyone know of a better transalor? I found this one via babelfish.com

Also their swords are refered to as cartridges and the sword makers as gunsmiths - I think this is a limit of the translation software perhaps some of our native Russian speakers will clear this up.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old November 17, 2002, 03:38 PM   #2
Fred Hansen

Try: http://babelfish.altavista.com

It seemed to work ok on one of the paragraphs I plugged into it.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore