The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 21, 2009, 03:55 AM   #26
borneoboomstick

Quote:
Are you a local warlord of some type?
Not a warlord. Just someone who likes the idea of being safe and secure in his own home. Especially when the said home also houses my wife and kids. When I'm out of town, my mind is at ease knowing that I've taken all reasonable precautions to ensure their safety.. Like I said, my wife (and quite a few of my friends, come think of it) thinks I'm overly paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid then spend the rest of my life thinking "what if I had done just a little more to secure my home.." For me.. OTT would be when I start installing trip flares and sleep with NVG's on
Old October 21, 2009, 01:59 PM   #27
zombieslayer

None of my Mossberg 500 springs have worn out from staying loaded. My Persuader stays 8+1!
Old October 24, 2009, 02:13 PM   #28
qtzmznt

keeping a urika 391 ready?

My only shotgun is a Beretta 391 Urika 2. Right now it hangs out locked and unloaded. Any suggestions on keeping it ready if I decided to do so?
Old October 24, 2009, 03:59 PM   #29
Scattergun Bob

qtzmznt

Your scattergun should work just like it's foster brother the Benelli M-1 and M-2 series. As written earlier in this thread.

Quote:
Cruiser Ready is a condition of readiness that allows us to quickly bring our scattergun into condition one (ready to fire) and still maintain a good margin of safety.

Curiser Ready= rounds in the magazine, perhaps even on the carrier, bolt closed on a empty chamber, hammer down, safety ON. To get to condition one is simply a pump of the action and a push on the safety. There are some folks that leave the hammer cocked, I am ok with that
Experiment with this and make it work for you.

Good Luck & Stay Safe
Old October 27, 2009, 12:38 PM   #30
Brasscatcher84

I keep my Mossberg 500 w/ a full tube but no round in the chamber. Racking a slide doesn't take long, and if I have to confront an intruder in my home, I want the intimidation factor of the "ka-chuck" sound working in my favor.
Old October 27, 2009, 03:34 PM   #31
zombieslayer

I used to have reservations about leaving one chambered, but if im being attacked, I wanna have stealth. Honestly, cause I live alone in a Huge house, If anyone's in there while I'm sleeping, I don't wanna scare em. i wanna shoot em. Just my method. to each his own. Just knowing several rounds of 12ga at hand is comforting, whether you chamber one or not. All my defensive guns are loaded. The NO TRESSPASSING signs, alarm, and locked doors would let any well-meaning individual(s) to get ahold of me before entering. The first sound the BG hears in my FLORIDA home is BOOM
Old October 30, 2009, 11:40 AM   #32
spacecoast

Whoa Nelly!

Nice