The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 8, 2002, 08:58 PM   #1
ktmhk53

ASP Baton

Greetings,
I just purchased a new 21" ASP Baton and have yet to receive formal training for its use.
Would you relay your experiences with it, ie. good/bad manuevers, its strengths/weaknesses, etc...

Respectfully,

ktmhk53
Old November 8, 2002, 09:27 PM   #2
mons-meg

As far as using it, if there isn't a quick ASP specific course available in your area, then look for a Kali/Escrima/Arnis type school in your area. Commit to at least a year if you want to really learn some basics.
Old November 8, 2002, 09:40 PM   #3
Cowdogpete

Or go to Powderhorn Ranch in Colorado for a week and get some good pointers and training on how to use a baton. Word of caution, they will advise you to trade it off for a Winchester Baton. (and I agree with that)
Old November 9, 2002, 10:54 AM   #4
Demi Barbito

For the proper use of the baton you do not want the "ASP Training". You want more of a stickfighting game. The Kali/Filipino methods are best.

Demi

www.DemiBarbito.com
Old November 10, 2002, 10:45 AM   #5
Blue Duck357

At least as of a couple of years ago if you trained with an ASP certified instructor and were involved in a confrontation they would provide an expert witness on your behalf free of charge. One was provided for a local Deputy and did a very good job describing the "Forgiving Strikezone" and seemed to help the case.

Master Shoji down the street likely would not do as well
Old November 10, 2002, 11:48 AM   #6
GunFool

Paladin press has two decent videos available on expandable baton application...one by Kelly Worden and one by Kelly McCann/Jim Grover. Both are pretty good. I have some background in two seperate styles of stick-oriented FMA and I can say that both videos are pretty good. Nothing beats real world instruction but these will help as FMA instruction still tends to be hard to find. The vids are especially good in that they show you how to keep using the weapon when it inevitably collapses (which can and does happen under heavy use) and how to recover. You didnt mention your intended use for the ASP..I'm assuming personal defense? Concealed, home, or uniformed use?