The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 16, 2012, 03:53 AM   #1
SOCLOSE907

Range time at 35 below zero!

Any good ideas for thin shooting gloves for cold weather?
Old December 16, 2012, 04:35 AM   #2
9mm

Do bullets travel slower/faster in cold weather, what about burn time? Any delay in shooting/hitting primer?...

No idea about gloves in that deep of cold.
Old December 16, 2012, 04:40 AM   #3
SOCLOSE907

Cold air = thicker air = slower velocity
Old December 16, 2012, 04:43 AM   #4
SOCLOSE907

no delay in primer.. ill clean and use a air compressor to remove any access lube..sounds odd but less lube less problems in cold weather.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:14 AM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

Dry fire practice inside. Layered clothing while outside. Staying warm.

Shivering is counter productive to good shooting.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:50 AM   #6
AH.74

That's not cold weather. That's COLD WEATHER!!!!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. I think I've been out when it's been in the plus-30's but not below that.
Old December 16, 2012, 08:56 AM   #7
sfmedic

I think it was LL Bean that made a pretty slim Insulite glove - regardless at that cold I would keep an outer glove handy- Like the old military mittens with the little snap that kept them on your sleeve.

if not LL Bean then any of the chain sporting good stores will help you out. But if its thin it aint gonna keep you warm for long - its good for keeping the metal from sticking to you at those temps

i bet the bullets wont want to come out and play from their nice warm magazine house :-)
Old December 16, 2012, 08:58 AM   #8
kraigwy

I spent a great deal of time with the Alaska (Native) National Guard Units in Western Alaska on the Bering Sea. I was the XO of A 1/297th Infantry on St Lawrence Island, and CO of C Company, 1/297th Infantry (The Villages of Shishmaref, Co Hdq, Whales, Teller, Brevig Mission & Little Diomede).

We did most of our training in the winter months, including firearms qualification and training, plus I spent a lot of time hunting with the native peoples.

As to glove, mittens are required. Mittens have to be large enough that you had a light pair of gloves inside. The Trigger finger mittens worked if it wasn't too cold (to about 30 below if you weren't out too long) below that or extended periods the heavier Arctic Mittens were excellent. (I still use both types here in Wyoming. The trigger finger mittens for general winter use, and the arctic mittens for 4 Wheeling in the winter).

Both types can be found in surplus stores or on e-bay at reasonable prices. Normally I don't like military clothing for cold weather, the gloves/mittens listed are the exceptions. I've found none better.

As to firearms, keep them dry, if camping don't bring them in your tent. If extended shooting, start dry and as they warm up (from firing) you can use a light oil (the Military's LAW is excellent). If you're not shooting, wipe off all moisture and oils. Keep them dry.

You're not going to shoot enough to hurt them, if you do, like I said, when they warm up, use LAW sparingly.

It's not really hard to keep them going. Extreme cold (and other weather conditions) effect the shooter more then the gun.

If you're worried about the trajectory changing, use any of the free BC programs out there, plug in your data with different temps to see what it does.

To give you an example (using my I-pod shooter program with my 150 grn SSTs out of my 270 W) at 40 degrees when sighted in at 100 yards the drop at 600 yards is 9.9 MOA, keeping every thing the same, if I shot at 40 below the drop at 600 would be, 9.7 MOA. So that's not really as much of a problem as one would think. Of course different rounds react differently.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 16, 2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Carne Frio

One method that I know about is one I saw being used
by Inuit hunter. It is to use a thin glove inside of an easily
removed, heavy duty mitten. The mittens are connected
to each other, via a cord that goes up each sleeve of your
parka. When you have a need for fine dexterity, you toss
the mittens, shoulder your rifle and your in business.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Nanuk

Having worked LE in North Dakota for the last 17 years I have gained some insight to working outside in -40 weather. Our first IDPA match of the season is the 2nd Saturday of February which is usually the coldest month of the year here.

I use synthetic lube on my guns. For weapon manipulation in extreme cold gloves are a necessity, without them your hands will instantly freeze to any metal and exposed skin starts to freeze in seconds exposed to the air so frostbite is always a concern.

For short duration exposure to the extreme cold I like the Hatch Kevlar frisk gloves for shooting.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/2557-Hatc...ner-Black.aspx

My usual Patrol Gloves are thin leather insulated. As has been mentioned dress in layers. It is very comical and humbling to draw from under car-hart bibs, which is one of the many reasons for a J Frame in an outer pocket.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 17, 2012, 09:42 PM   #11
dawg23

Quote:
Any good ideas for thin shooting gloves for cold weather?
Moving is always a good idea ----- I'd suggest somewhere around the latitude of south Louisiana.