The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 25, 2000, 03:23 AM   #1
fastforty

Ok, that last topic got me to thinking about mine. It's a Model 62, 20" round bbl, no grooves. I picked it up at a gunshow 30 years ago. All serial #'s match, and it's in at least 90% condition. Don't have a clue when it was made. Here's the catch: It was originally marked ".22 Short", but the "Short" has been Xed out, and "LR" stamped in. It's been rechambered, but obviously not with a vise and a pistol drill. Anyone have any knowledge?
Old February 25, 2000, 12:15 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Finding when it was made will require the serial number. As to who rechambered it, your guess is probably as good as anyone's. Most of those guns in .22 short were made as shooting gallery rifles and modification to .22 LR required more than just rechambering, but it was done.

Jim
Old February 25, 2000, 08:07 PM   #3
Hammy

I have a Winchester model 62 pump action. It is marked 22short, long, and long rifle. I inherited the gun when my father passed away. I shot this gun a lot when I was growing up but I couldn't appreciate it's craftsmanship or accuracy until I was older. It's the most accurate 22 rifle that I have ever shot. I used to remember when it was made but it escapes my memory right now. I believe my gun was made sometime in the forties.