The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 19, 2012, 02:56 PM   #1
web40

Is this bore pitting?

The 12 gauge bore in question is from a single-shot gun that has a strange spot on it that almost looks like it was etched out, although it might just need to be cleaned. It almost looks like it has a little "island" in the middle, and I don't know if pitting would do that.

I used a bore brush (all I had was a 20 ga brush) on this gun, but the spot would not disappear, so I assumed it was some kind of pitting. The gun was given to me, and it only has a light amount of rust in a very small spot or two, but otherwise the barrel looks good. I noticed the spot because I had bought some Estate brand shells, and had read that they shoot dirty.

http://i.minus.com/ibqbAuF6av8j2g.jpg

http://i.minus.com/ibtP7LXO5KYQYr.jpg

Thanks for any help!
Old October 19, 2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

It could be.
Here's a way to find out for sure, and if not, to clean it out.
This is for SMOOTH BORE GUNS ONLY....NEVER do this to a rifled bore.

Get some 0000 steel wool and wrap some around a bore brush.
Put the brush on a shotgun cleaning rod and chuck the rod in a drill.
Running the drill at medium speeds run the brush up and down the bore and chamber, keeping it moving constantly.
You can give it slightly more time on the spot area.

Polishing will take no more than a couple of minutes, so don't over do it.
After polishing, clean the bore with solvent and patches to remove the residue and inspect.
After inspection, apply a thin coat of lubricant in the bore to prevent rust.

This will polish the bore and clean out any stubborn fouling. If the spot is pitting, this can't remove it, but if the gun is worth it, you can buy a special barrel hone and special honing oil from Brownell's.
This tool can polish a bore until shallow pitting is polished out, but the tool is expensive and you MUST use the special oil or the hone will be destroyed.
Old October 19, 2012, 11:51 PM   #3
shortwave

Is there a bead sight on the bbl. and is it possible this 'spot' is where the bead sight is at only on inside of the bore ?

If so, it's possible the bbl was drilled all the way through at the factory when mounting the bead. If this is the case, no need to worry.
Old October 20, 2012, 12:53 AM   #4
web40

There is a single bead sight at the end of the barrel, but the spot inside the barrel is about 6-8 inches past that.
Old October 22, 2012, 09:00 AM   #5
mete

You probably got something in there that corroded a spot. Follow the proceedure mentioned above . If the spot doesn't clean out you'll just have to clean the barrel carefully after shooting and apply a good rust resisting oil or grease.
Old October 27, 2012, 08:21 AM   #6
rrruger

looks like the bottom end of the bead sight.
Measure the distance in from the end of the barrel and see how they line up.