The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 7, 2009, 10:53 PM   #26
raftman

My friend has one (in .22LR), and he gave me the privilege of firing it on one occasion. Supposedly it's been fired quite a lot, but it didn't look too bad. In any case, it didn't blow up, or fall apart or any of that stuff. Seemed wildly inaccurate however and cylinder got gummed up really quickly after firing very few rounds, to the point that it would barely rotate.

If you want a real cheap .22LR revolver that comes with a better reputation and by far better accuracy, save up an additional $25-50 and get an H&R.
Old October 8, 2009, 01:26 AM   #27
jopedu

My wife inherited a RG in .38 spl from her father. they used to shoot together a lot when she was younger that gun still goes bang everytime the only complaint I have of it is that it shoots 6 inches to high so at the average pistol range if you aim at the ground in front of the target you will get on paper
Old October 8, 2009, 07:01 AM   #28
hornady

I have owned two RG revolvers. A 38 and a 22. The 38 was not bad. I even missed it after I traded it. Replaced it with a Taurus. How ever the 22. I could not get rid of fast enough. Picked it up used. Looked good. But what a piece of junk.
Old October 8, 2009, 07:40 AM   #29
mapsjanhere

Those Rohm revolvers were the byproduct of German gun laws, mainly produced in the free-to- purchase blank/teargas versions with blocked barrel. The use of the zinc frame was simply due to that circumstance, they weren't designed to have to take any recoil. There is simply no market in Germany for "plinking" guns due to the restrictions on purchasing non-sporting non-hunting guns. Few people will "waste" one of their restricted number of guns on something to bang beer cans around with.
Old October 15, 2009, 06:14 PM   #30
Eelfoot

Hey Guys!

Glad I stumbled onto this thread.

I have an old RG 14, beat and battered, that I bought used for a snake and varmint gun. It lives in the barn and has dispatched more coons, snakes and possums than I can count. It handles .22 rat shot, long rifles, longs, shorts and caps equally well, has never failed and is accurate enough at close range.

However, one of its weaknesses is that to load or unload it one must unscrew and pull a cylinder pin. A few days ago I LOST that pin, so my little trash gun is now really trash unless someone can tell me where to get a replacement pin at a reasonable cost. (The pistol is hardly worth repairing but does exactly what it is supposed to do here.)

Anyone know where I can get a cylinder pin?
Chuck
Old October 16, 2009, 03:44 AM   #31
Steven Mace

Eelfoot, it looks like Numrich has what you're looking for.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...rModel=1880z14

Steve Mace
Old March 22, 2010, 05:59 PM   #32
Piffin

I just inherited an RG31 that Dad bought for Mom at a Pawn in FL backin '82 for $54. Cylinder and bbl for .32SW long.

Seems to have same problems noted above. Lock position gizmo for the wheel not operating.

Glad Mom never had to fire it!

Nice looking paperweight though.