The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 8, 2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Pops1085

870 that refuses to open after nearly every shot.

I need a bit of advice, I have had a few remington 870s and loved them but I have one that seems to not want to cycle after a shot has been fired. I have completely field stripped it and nothing looks to be broken or worn so I can't wrap my head around as to why the bolt won't release after the shot has been fired (before the shell has been ejected) I've found that if I hold the gun by the forend and smack the butt on the ground the gun will then cycle but it happens so often and I have had other 870's and had no problems whatsoever.

Also I added a magazine extension and had to drill out the dimples and my first thought was that I screwed something up there but I've found it happens wether or not there are rounds in the magazine tube. Annnd if I load the gun up and not fire it, it will cycle all the rounds out just fine.
Old June 8, 2013, 08:38 PM   #2
jmr40

A dirty, rough chamber is a common problem on many new 870's. Usually cleaning/polishing the chamber helps. Steel wool and a little elbow grease will probably fix your problem.
Old June 8, 2013, 08:47 PM   #3
barnbwt

Quote:
A dirty, rough chamber is a common problem on many new 870's
+1 to that. The first shot in my brother's 870 required a smith to get unstuck (and they ripped a chunk off the rim before getting the rest out). Rough/chattered chamber was the cause and required a replacement barrel (the dummy hadn't shot the gun before the warranty ran out, either ). IIRC, the gun would work (with stiff extraction) with brass cased ammo, but not the cheap stuff (I guess it deformed into the grooves more). As cheap as 870s are, I imagine you get somewhat what you pay with the budget home defense models that Remington knows are likely to never be shot before the warranty runs out

Those guns are so unstoppable (if made right) that it makes some sense to buy used, simply for validation.

TCB
Old June 8, 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Ed4032

Make sure the spring and related part are in the right way. It will still assemble if they are in backwards.
Old June 8, 2013, 09:35 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Express or Wingmaster? If Express, use your finger to check for burrs or roughness in the chamber; then stop using steel-head ammo and use brass to see if it still does it.....You may start to see the pattern that has been around for quite a while
IF this is your scenario, a dowel with 0000 steel wool and oil in a cordless drill will work wonders
Old June 8, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
idek

are you using cheap winchester shells? Those are the only shells that have even gotten stuck in my experience (with an 870 and a Mossberg 500)
Old June 8, 2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Dreaming100Straight

If this is a newer 870, the above are correct about many, if not all, needing their chamber polished. However, polishing isn't enough and some need to have their chambered opened up with a reamer.

Like BigD said, cheap ammunition can only aggravate the problem. This is not limited to the inexpensive 870 Express, but can happen with a Wingmaster.
Old June 9, 2013, 02:59 AM   #8
natman

Is it difficult to open after dryfiring? If no, then rough chamber. If yes, try cleaning and lubing the barrel extension and the bolt where it fits into it.
Old June 9, 2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Virginian

If it's a new gun why aren't you calling Remington? They will take care of you as long as you don't do a bunch of obvious kitchen table gunsmithing first.
And a rough chamber has happened more than once on Expresses. It can be cured by either polishing or honing.
Old June 9, 2013, 10:53 AM   #10
SoilworK777

Does Remington not test fire every gun before passing it? I would think they should, if not for anything but safety.
Old June 9, 2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Pahoo

The Express ???

Quote:
A dirty, rough chamber is a common problem on many new 870's. Usually cleaning/polishing the chamber helps. Steel wool and a little elbow grease will probably fix your problem.
Again, quite a few voices of experience have pointed to the probable cause. In previous posts, folks have seen this on current "Express" models. Three years ago, I bought an express for one of my Grandsons. Along with other issues, I encountered this problem with shells sticking in the chamber. It did not take to much effort to make the fix, permanently. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 9, 2013, 12:05 PM   #12
BigJimP

Don't overlook the issue - it was raised above.....about ammo being part of the issue...!!!

Try some shells with a good brass base vs alloy or steel ( like a lot of the cheaper promotional shells seem to have). My buddy had an issue with Rio's in his Over Under a couple of weeks ago ...hard to chamber / hard to remove...there was a slight bulge in the steel cup - right near the shoulder of the base. We found about half the shells in a box had the issue.../ his gun was 100% when he went back to the clubhouse and bought a box of Remington STS.
Old June 9, 2013, 01:02 PM   #13
mehavey

Read this WHOLE thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=express

Especially "Notes to Myself" in last post.

Do NOT use the cheap steel-base shells now sold by the caseful at WalMart and the like.

Last edited by mehavey; June 9, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old June 10, 2013, 01:16 PM   #14
Pops1085

Well I took it out again today and was using the same cheap "Estate dove loads" and it kept seising up but when I switched to my full power high brass loads I had no problems. I guess I just never expected a PUMP shotgun to be picky about ammo. Thanks for the heads up fellas
Old June 10, 2013, 01:48 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL

Now you know to test fire certain brands, especially if HD is an optional use, to make sure it is worry-free.

You SHOULD be able to fire ANY load in a pump from 980 low noise to uber goose loads. Polish the chamber area and it should go away
Old June 10, 2013, 02:03 PM   #16
Doug S

Yes, do what many of the others have suggested, and polish the chamber. No reason to limit yourself as to what you can shoot. The Walmart bulk loads make for some nice economical practice shells IMO. My Maverick 88 shoots the cheap Walmart bulk shotgun shells without an issue. You should be able to make your Remington do the same.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old June 10, 2013, 03:48 PM   #17
mehavey

Again...

Take the barrel off and try to hand fit an ejected steel-base shell in back into the chamber.
It won't go.
Period.

Steel is uniquely unable to step back from its expanded position, as opposed to that
capability exhibited by brass. The AK gets away with that by having a very cone-shaped case.
Shotguns are straightwall.

I'm not blaming the chamber for that.

Last edited by mehavey; June 10, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old June 11, 2013, 01:57 PM   #18
Pops1085

question, I found out after shooting it again that the magazine extension might not have been screwed down all the way and the barrel maybe wasn't ubber tight. if I had not put the mag extension on and had a loose magazine cap could that have maybe been the culprit?
Old June 11, 2013, 04:08 PM   #19
mehavey

Probably not the problem, Pops.
Steel is the problem.
Brass will function every time