The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 20, 2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Yung.gunr

Magpul PMags

Ok, so what makes the Magpul P-Mags so great (non AR guy here)? Why are they any better or command higher prices than other quality mags?

Totally lost here...
Old December 20, 2012, 03:34 PM   #2
loose_holster_dan

i don't know how much of a higher cost they are commanding. i got mine for $11 a pop. i think they go for $18 in my lgs, and they gouge bad.

primary reason i like them is because of the follower. i have so much bad luck with surplus mags not feeding right or locking the bolt open with 1 round left.

i also like that they don't have that metal twang noise every time you fire or bump up against something.

i did order some of their followers to put in my surplus mags, but after doing that, they were as expensive as the magpul ones.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 20, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

Someone just paid $515 for 5 black PMAGs....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=322877230

Wow....
Old December 20, 2012, 03:50 PM   #4
AndyWest

Yung, Pmags are becoming the de-facto yardstick. They're extremely well built with anti-tilt followers, dust covers, good ergonomics and (newer ones) windows.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:10 PM   #5
chris in va

That Gunbroker sale has to be a joke. I just told my GF and she said, "damn, sell yours!". Right.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:10 PM   #6
BillyJack3

Quote:
Someone just paid $515 for 5 black PMAGs....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=322877230

Wow....
Old December 20, 2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Yung.gunr

Yeah, what brought it up is Backpage is going crazy right now about these things. So, I had to find out why.
Old December 20, 2012, 04:32 PM   #8
loose_holster_dan

are all those auctions jokes? i've got a box full of unopened black pmags just sitting in the plastic at home right now...
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 20, 2012, 04:51 PM   #9
Coltman 77

PMags are pretty much sold out/unavailable now, given the possible AWB.

Quote:
i've got a box full of unopened black pmags just sitting in the plastic at home right now...
Put em on Gunbroker Dan, pick up some cash if you want to.

I'm keeping all my PMags.

BTW

This is THE TIME to contact your state reps. and let them know you oppose another ineffective AWB.

Also a great time to join the NRA or make a donation to them.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old December 20, 2012, 05:03 PM   #10
9mm1033

Magpul mags here are $13.00 (at least they were before the CN shooting) at a LGS. Seems like a great price for those who like the plastic mags with the extras. I pay a few dollars more for the Brownell aluminum mags. Just a personal preference on my part.
Old December 20, 2012, 05:23 PM   #11
DasGuy

Pmags fixed issues with the standard GI mags, have been used for years now in real combat with great success and are cheap.

This is why they have the rep they have.

Magpul's customer service also happens to be the best around. They stand behind their products 100%.
Old December 20, 2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Pmags fixed issues with the standard GI mags, have been used for years now in real combat with great success and are cheap.

This is why they have the rep they have.

Magpul's customer service also happens to be the best around. They stand behind their products 100%.
+1

I'll also add that they continually improve. Their Gen2 (MOE) mags are basically the standard now for reliability and durability and they've kept improving the design.

There are other good mags out there (Lancer L5AWM for instance) but the PMAGs are as good as any and better than most. You can still backorder 10 of them for $125 shipped from Brownells as well; tough to beat that.
Old December 20, 2012, 05:30 PM   #13
m.p.driver

Get em while you can.A lot of the sites i buy from are having a run on ALL their mags.Everything from AR to AK, and everything in between.Looks like another 1994 buying frenzy.
Old December 20, 2012, 06:09 PM   #14
ftballgod

those auctions were not a joke. everyone is sold out. people are freaking out. Cheaper Than Dirt before they ran out were selling them for $60 a piece. my local guy said they have more ordered but they expect them to be around $30 or more when they are back in stock. (they were normally $15 here)

if you have some you don't need i would sell them. look at gunbroker. they are all selling.
Old December 20, 2012, 06:53 PM   #15
dgludwig

If you can still get them, Brownell's is selling twenty rounders for around fourteen bucks each and, as plouffedaddy said, $125.00 for ten. Again, with the caveat, if you can still get them.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:41 PM   #16
Departed402

Quote:
This is THE TIME to contact your state reps. and let them know you oppose another ineffective AWB.
^THIS^

Be sure to write them all, especially your Reps in the House. I fear they will be our 2nd Amendment right's only defense! If you Rep(s) are conservative Democrats who could be on the fence be sure to send them a letter or e-mail.

I just bought a couple Pmags for my LR-308, and glad I did! I even used a gift card. All I paid was shipping.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:49 PM   #17
sam colt

p-mags

Dan sell those Pmags. I working on a belt fed Citori and I could use some start up money. I'll give you 49% of the company!
Old December 20, 2012, 09:02 PM   #18
AndyWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftballgod
Cheaper Than Dirt before they ran out were selling them for $60 a piece.
I was literally JUST about to post a CTD link but couldn't find it. That's why. And yes, they were selling fast at that price.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:09 PM   #19
Martowski

Everyone is pretty much out of stock. I saw another auction on GB that still has almost a full day left, and 5 PMAGs are going for $155; they'll be above $200 - $300 before the auction ends.

Prices have literally gone through the roof in the past 7 days, and EVERYONE is out of stock. Even the 20 rounders that everyone ignored before last week are all gone.

Good luck.
Old December 20, 2012, 11:12 PM   #20
tgreening

A fool and their money.....

I mean really. I have no fondness for another 10 rnd magazine limit BUT, if it does happen, so what? Other than being able to shoot more without swapping a mag what REAL effect is this going to have on John Q Public, rights issues aside? Will your day at the range be ruined because you had to swap mags 3 times as much?

While I really think a hi-cap magazine ban is stupid and steps on the 2nd amendment, I think it is equally stupid to GO all stupid and spend $100 + for a hunk of plastic that yesterday cost $15.

If I have to, I'll just buy 3 times as many 10 rounders. I won't like it and won't think I should have to, but I'll do that before plunking down what people are spending now.
Old December 21, 2012, 01:45 AM   #21
AndyWest

Rights issues aside? C'mon you can't be saying that with a straight face. That's entirely what this is about. Infringement is infringement. That's what scares people.
Old December 21, 2012, 02:33 AM   #22
Departed402

SORRY OP

Didn't mean to leave you hanging Yung.gunr, Anyway, go to YouTube and look up "Pmag torture test" where they compare Pmags against metal mags. The Pmags are generally cheaper than metal mags, and with the exception of feed lips getting warped when left loaded for long periods, they are superior in every way.
Old December 21, 2012, 10:57 AM   #23
Apom

Just got my pmag gen3s from Brownells..According to the woman at customer service, I was the last person to have his pmags shipped out. What I fool I was for only ordering 4.
Old December 21, 2012, 01:44 PM   #24
FALPhil

To answer the OP's question, Pmags are good magazines. Like Andy says, they are the yardstick. They are not the best, but they are a long way from the worst.

Personally, most of my AR shooting is done with aluminum milsurps. I have had a couple that had problems from deformed feed lips when I bought them, but, I tweaked them and they are reliable now. Other than that, the milsurps have been very reliable, even with the black followers.

I also have a half dozen steel British AR mags that have run superbly. Most of my 20-rd mags are C-Products. I dropped a loaded one onto concrete and the bottom popped off and spilled the rounds. Fortunately, I only run 20s at the range.

By far and away my favorites are Lancer AWMs. I have L5s, and I think L5s are as good a Pmags, but the AWMs are a whole 'nother ball game.
Old December 21, 2012, 07:54 PM   #25
Justice06RR

Quote:
mean really. I have no fondness for another 10 rnd magazine limit BUT, if it does happen, so what? Other than being able to shoot more without swapping a mag what REAL effect is this going to have on John Q Public, rights issues aside? Will your day at the range be ruined because you had to swap mags 3 times as much?

While I really think a hi-cap magazine ban is stupid and steps on the 2nd amendment, I think it is equally stupid to GO all stupid and spend $100 + for a hunk of plastic that yesterday cost $15.

If I have to, I'll just buy 3 times as many 10 rounders. I won't like it and won't think I should have to, but I'll do that before plunking down what people are spending now.
Yes it is very annoying and time consuming to only be able to shoot 10rd mags in your firearm.

I have a Ruger 10/22 with the original 10rd box mag. I can go through that in about 3-5seconds. Reloading will take about 10seconds. It is no fun to have to keep reloading 10rds at a time when 25-30rd mags are available (I have one on order).

Same goes for 5.56/223; it is no fun having to bring 3 mags when 1 will do. Loading them if they were limited to 10 is time consuming esp if you are in a range that charges by the hour.