The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
OleEd

Possibly resolved my initial Post !!!!! BUT

Problem with the Rem R1: My rds are loading fine from the mag but jamming over 3/4 way in and about 7/8's way in. The 3/4 way is "extremely" hard to extract. 7/8s is extremely hard to seed for firing or even extracting. Rds easily load one-at-time into the chanber to fire.

SO:

1. I resized to using the 4th taper crimp die in the Lee 4 die set. I use a slightly lower load of Win. 5.3g and 1st time Missouri 230g LRN. (Been using Mo bullets in 38/357 for years and about 450 in the 9mm)

2. I disassembled and with the barrel, I checked to see that the bullet would set as a factory load and did easily in the chamber and sit -- extremely close and what I would use in the 9mm. Length is as per Speer loading book.

3. I just started lubricating shells with Hornaby "One Shot" Spray Lube because of the number of rounds I am reloading.

4. Of note, this is the 1st time I've had to do the taper crimp as I bought a Ruger SR9 and the Rem 45.

5. I haven't had any problems with the 9mm reload. Nor have I had problems with 200 rds of 185g FMJ 45 rds.

Any ideas??????

Oh yes, I have about 100 more rds loaded as I like the recoil and accuracy of the load.

I went to the range today tp try to figure out the above problem.

The Speer Manual for 230g LRN states a COAL of 1.270 BUT THIS IS TOO LONG. When I rechecked #2, I don't know why the initial rds fitted but I checked 20 RDS and they all STICK OUT/beyond the the end of the chamber area making the rd jam -- I think on the beveled surface of the barrel where the bullet enters the chamber.

------------------------------------

Now, I believe I have to resize the rds (100 rds) below the COAL stated of 1.270. My question --- Since all the rds have a taper crimp, CAN I RESEAT THE bullet to a depth that will chamber the bullet?????

Thanks much for you help in the previous post titled "45 Cal Reload Problem".
Old November 4, 2010, 10:32 AM   #2
AlaskaMike

You should be able to seat the bullets in a little deeper, but watch out for shaving lead when you do it. It sounds like the chamber is shorter than SAAMI spec and that's not a good sign.
Old November 4, 2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

That's why I suggested you needed a shorter COL in the previous thread. If your RN bullet has a hemispherical rather than elliptical nose, it needs to seat deeper and you may need to reduce the powder charge a little.

It would have been good for continuity to have put this in the original thread.

Below is the image I have posted before on lead bullet seating. Third from left headspaces on the bullet and produces the best accuracy and the least leading.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle