The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 16, 1999, 04:36 PM   #1
Nestor Rivera

We have all seen the adapters to shoot 32acp or 32s&w in vairous firearms of differint caliburs (7.62x54,7.65arg,7.7jap etc) I was just thinking if you had say one of the NEF HandiRifles you could reverse the Idea to some extent in that you could make a 30.06 to x.xx so you could shoot various lesser cartridges like 7.62x25 or 30mauser, 30luger
30 carbine 32-20 30-40 etc etc etc..

Being as the Handi is a break open you really would not loose that much in speed, if you really think you can make 2 shots on a target wiht it get 2 adapters.

I wonder how much it would cost to have these adapter cnc'd out of an appopriate grade of steele.

Old July 16, 1999, 08:28 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just about any good gunsmith with a lathe and the appropriate chambering reamers ought to be able to make adapters like you describe or modify .32 ACP adapters. (.32 ACP uses a .308 bullet and those adapters work fine in .30 rifles.) I think the cost of making an adapter would, as they say, be off-putting.

It would depend somewhat on whether the adapter is to be rifled or only smoothbore from the bullet of the smaller cartridge to the throat of the barrel. Note that there could be trouble with higher pressure cartridges like the .30 Mauser, as the adapter is not fully supported and could bulge.

Jim