The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 30, 1999, 08:21 PM   #1
frogman6

I'm a first time poster , so please be gentle , I was wondering if anyone knows how to properly break in a 16" chrome carbine barrel ? . Any special procedures ect. ? its an armalite if that helps.................thanks

------------------
frogman6
Old July 31, 1999, 01:12 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Frogman, I break in any new barrel the same way and it has worked for me for 25 years. Clean thoroughly between each shot for the first 10 then clean thoroughly after each 5 shots for 25. George
Old July 31, 1999, 07:32 PM   #3
boing

Ooo! I just remembered something I wanted to ask!

Why does a new barrel have to be broken in? What happens if you just go out and put 1000 rounds through it? Is it just for chrome barrels? Is it a rifle-only thing, or should I have broken in my M500 barrel before putting 10 boxes of 7 1/2 through it? Etc, etc, etc...

-boing
Old August 1, 1999, 04:58 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Normally only rifle barrels are broken in. The goal is to polish the bore in order to improve accuracy. Another benefit is easier cleaning, less fouling and longer accuracy life before any cleaning is needed. I've never considered breaking in a pistol barrel but the Contender, Encore, Striker and XP-100s should really be treated more like a rifle. George

Old August 13, 1999, 07:33 PM   #5
frogman6

been away from the computer for a while...but thanks for the info , I've heard that your supposed to put 200 rds. through it withought cleaning , to break it in , but that doesn't sound right to me so I'll do it the way you suggested...........thanks

------------------
frogman6