The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 16, 2013, 08:23 AM   #1
300magman

Mixing Magnum and Regular Size Canada Goose Decoys

Can anyone tell me what the popular opinion is on mixing different sized Canada goose decoys.

I’ve had a bit of luck using a half dozen 32” magnums in a mudpuddle I’ve been hunting ( got them half price at a close out sale) but I’m looking to increase the size of my spread as I start to hunt a larger pond and most of what I see available locally are closer to 19” standard size. (and of slightly different color…still a Canada goose decoy but each company seems to paint them using a slightly different color pallet)

Would mixing the two be no problem? Should I perhaps set the two types apart as different (but nearby to each other) groups? Or would it be quite important to stay consistent?

Any advice is welcome, thanks
Old September 16, 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
AllenJ

I don't have any problem mixing different sized decoy's but different colors I do. If they are close to the same color it probably won't matter much, still I like to keep them separate in their own groups.
Old September 16, 2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Wyoredman

I have found that the mixture of the spread doesn't really matter much. It is the number of decoys (spread over all size) that matters. Bigger is better!

Shy birds will come check out a large spread more readily than a small one!
Old September 18, 2013, 05:12 AM   #4
Mobuck

I don't know much about decoys but we do have a resident goose population close. I see them nearly every morning with a big goose flying in front and several smaller(young ones) following. I assume the family groups stay together while feeding on the ground so a mixed size group of decoys would look entirely normal.
Old September 20, 2013, 10:29 AM   #5
mwal

Here in MN we have resident Greater Canadas and migrating Hudson Bay and Richardson Cackler Canadians. Sometimes the flocks will be intermixed. Its hilarious to see and listen to. Cacklers are the mini me's the size of mallards Hudson Bay Eastern Praiie are 6 to 8 LBs flying with 16 lb greaters. Like fighter jet and B-52 bomber. We mix mags with smaller just for this reason. Don't worry about it. IF they don't seem to decoy separate them into like sized family groups.

Mwal