The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 8, 2012, 09:58 PM   #1
bigdaddy123

CZ 527 7.62x39

Ordered one;should be in tomorrow.Does anyone have any experience with these rifles?Any info.will be helpful.
Old July 8, 2012, 10:53 PM   #2
sholling

Other than shooting a loaner at a range event I haven't had trigger time with the 527 but I liked the one I shot. I kept hoping that they'd come out with a 6.8SPC version but I don't think it'll ever happen.
Old July 9, 2012, 12:36 AM   #3
armoredman

Yes, I have one, handload for it, love it. One thing - if you want to put an adjustable rear sight you will have to have a gunsmith build it. I did. Was shooting at a 12x8 steel gong at 300 yards with mine Saturday with iron sights. Hit it, too.
There is a Picatinney rail adapter that fits on the scope mount cuts in the receiver. I have one, but if you use it, you must get the lowest scope rings you can find.

I recently removed the scope to learn how to shoot with irons, and it works great. This rifle has shot some groups I consider nice, even though I am aware I am not an Internet accurate rifle shooter.

I am very fond of mine, shoots very well with darn near anything I shove into it, even cast lead loads.

Remember the trigger and single set trigger are fully adjustable, even though I left mine stock. Factory ammo may or may not give the accuracy you want - a few guys on czfirearms.us have reported excellent accuracy with factory ammo.
Whatever you shoot, I'll bet you will have fun with it.
Old July 9, 2012, 02:04 AM   #4
bamaranger

bolt

I don't have a CZ in 7.62x39, but I do have a bolt rifle so chambered.

An x39 bolt is a useful rifle of modest power, and mine will shoot circles aroung my AK and Mini-30. Puts the x39 cartridge in a whole different light.

A good arrangement as a trainer, and to start youth and beginners with a centerfire also.

Near 30-30 power in a straight forward, simple system with no hammer, lever, cross bolt or tube mag. easily scoped and came with good trigger.
Old July 9, 2012, 05:28 PM   #5
bigdaddy123

Thanks for the info fellas;now I've gotta pick me out a scope.Probably going with Leupold 3-9x40.
Old July 10, 2012, 07:53 AM   #6
Hunter Customs

I don't have a CZ527 in 7.62x39 but I do have one in 223 caliber.

I have a 3x9 Burris scope on mine and the rifle will shoot 1/2 MOA.

The CZ rifles seem to be well made and that single set trigger is the best factory trigger I ever had in a rifle.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old July 10, 2012, 12:57 PM   #7
armoredman

The scope I have for it currently is ridiculously overpowered, but it was a well received gift, and I thank the giver. According to theory, a short carbine sized 4 power scope is en-route, and I think that might be a better choice - the Bushnell weighs almost as much as the rifle does! Kidding.
This rifle is so light and handy I can see it being a camp rifle, packed in almost anywhere.
Old July 10, 2012, 06:01 PM   #8
bigdaddy123

If all goes well with the 7.62 I'll definitely buy the 527 carbine in .223!
Old July 12, 2012, 02:13 PM   #9
TheBear

great rifle, i used mine for years as an all purpose gun for the woods i can tell you the 527 is super reliable, it droped into the lake, fell into mud holes and it didnt see a drop of oil for at least 2 years but still shoots like on the day i bought it. Its accurate enough to take deer up to 300yards if you use good ammo. with the super cheap ammo its a good just for fun shooting rifle as well.
I used it with iron sights for 2 years, now with a 4x32 scope. its the rifle i use most.
Old July 12, 2012, 03:39 PM   #10
mike7.62

I have had mine 2 years or so now Bigdaddy, You done good real good. When you get It and start putting rounds down range you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by mike7.62; July 13, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old July 12, 2012, 06:51 PM   #11
bigdaddy123

Picked up my 527 carbine yesterday;I have not had a chance to shoot it yet.It has rained both evenings after work.Not complaining about the rain because we sure need it.Bought 2 boxes of Fiocchi 123 gr.I plan on getting a couple of boxes of Hornady Tap and Winchester white box.Maybe I can shoot this weekend.
Old July 12, 2012, 10:29 PM   #12
armoredman

Go for it!
Old July 13, 2012, 08:01 AM   #13
Wishoot

How does CZ in 7.62 do with the same cheap ammo I use in my AK?

I've got a ton of Yugo surplus and steel cased stuff.
Old July 13, 2012, 08:31 AM   #14
swampcrawler

I love mine as well, but do have a few complaints. When I got it, the forearm was pressing hard against the barrel on the left near the end. Sent it back (could have done it myself but why not let them do it?) 4 weeks later it came back, better, but still wood contacting barrel. Its a pain to scope, especialy if your a gorilla sized gentleman, as its hard to get the right eye relief/cheek weld. Its a pain to be quick with the bolt once its scoped. The base of the bolt handle is kinda square and uncomfortable. Mine has a weak firing pin spring that dosnt do well with hard primers. Bolt is loose fitting and rough, but getting better. Agazine being right on the balance point makes it a little awkward to carry, magazine spring is weak.

Despite its quirks it is a very cool rifle. I love mine. With a luepy mkAR 1.5-4 with duplex reticle and an old school leather shooting sling, its perfect for my uses. Cheap to practice, good for deer and hog in everything from dense swamp to open land (open meaning you can see 1-2 hundred yards lol) and just different and fun to cary.
Old July 13, 2012, 04:13 PM   #15
armoredman

swampy, have you tried the Picatinney rail adapter? You have to use low mounts, but it removes a lot of the problems with scoping the rifle. My bolt handle does clear the rear bell of that large scope, but just barely.

I had some light strikes with CCI primers years ago, haven't had the issue in a long time. Of course, in honesty I do have to say I use only Remington primers right now.
Never had a mag spring issue - call 1-800-955-4486 on Monday, press 2, and ask Adam if he can give you a new spring.
I agree, it's a great little carbine, and mine is currently scope free. Shooting from a kneeling/braced position I was able to hit a 12x8 steel target at 300 yards with handloads, (yes, I missed several, too. ), and think it's the bee knees for a camp rifle, backpacking rifle, or hunting rifle, haven't DONE any hunting with it, though, so take that one from me with a grain of salt for now. My one and only complaint was that nobody makes an adjustable rear sight for it, had to ask a local gunsmith to do it for me. She currently wears a folding Marbles rear adjustable which is VERY easy to use.

Old July 13, 2012, 08:18 PM   #16
bigdaddy123

Shot my 527 carbine this evening and it's a keeper.Got 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards from some cheap Fiocchi 123gr.Gonna take a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and put on it to tighten up those groups.Should be able to get down to 1".Haven't shot any Wolf or Tula through it yet.