The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 22, 2000, 12:10 PM   #1
Mikul

I love my SureFire, but I do have one complaint: it's too bright. Don't crucify me yet. I love the spotlight power, but there are plenty of times when I wish it were MUCH weaker.

For example: you're searching your house, but only need enough light to see by, not enough to blind God. If, and hopefully not when, you spot something suspiscious, it would be nice to go to full power. Carrying two lights is NOT an option.

Does anyone make something like the 6Z with two buttons; one high power, and one low?
Old August 22, 2000, 11:30 PM   #2
LPS

Mikul:

If your have problems with the brightness of the beam try using the F24 Beamshaper (defuser). This devise fits over the bezel of your 6Z and has tabs that allows you to fold the beamshaper to the side for transition from flood to spot beam.

Wayne
Old August 23, 2000, 07:36 PM   #3
mnealtx

A point to remember, as well...the Surefire lights are BLINDING!! IF I had to search my house, I would WANT a flashlight that would incapacitate anyone that I might come across, inside... also, if you have a light on fulltime, you're advertising where YOU are, to anyone that may be in your house, as has been mentioned many times before.

Just my .02

------------------
Mike
[email protected]
Old August 23, 2000, 10:21 PM   #4
skdtac

For home use, consider the 9N. We use it for it's recharging capability, but it does have both a high output bulb, and a much smaller low output bulb. It is somewhat of a chore to activate the low bulb under stress however, and requires both hands. Again, just letting you know it is out there, but we wouldn't recommend it's purchase on the dual bulb merit alone.

If you are using your 6Z, use the ceiling as a diffuser. Bounce the light off the ceiling and flood the area with a lower output glow.

HTH!

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.
Old August 24, 2000, 12:27 PM   #5
Mikul

It sounds like I'm going to have to rig something up. An LED light is ample light for not tripping over things and might be small enough to add to the end of the surefire and a switch could be added to the shell (drill a hold, add a tiny switch). I'd love to be able to power it from the lithiums, but they would probably overload the LED.

I've never done ANY electronics projects before. I guess there's a first time for everything.

[This message has been edited by Mikul (edited August 24, 2000).]