The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2005, 09:23 PM   #1
Bass Man

Polishing old brass?

Can old brass that has turned dark or tarnished be made as shiny as new brass in a tumbler? Would I leave it on all night or something with walnut shells?
Old April 5, 2005, 04:34 AM   #2
mtnboomer

As long as the corrosion is only on the surface, it can be cleaned. Just tumble it as normal, but it will take longer than brass with a better surface. Tumble overnight, check it, tumble more if required. After completing the cleaning, check the cases throughly inside and out for imperfections. You might even fill the cases with water and let them set to check for pinholes and cracks.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old April 5, 2005, 04:42 AM   #3
esheato

Are you just trying to shine them up for looks? or to reload?

I dabble in cartridge collecting and when I come across a heavily weathered cartridge I usually put it in my jean pockets for a few days while I wear the pants. Cleans it up right quick. You might want to try that before you run a tumbler for 6-7 hours.

Ed
Old April 5, 2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Russ5924

I have had good luck with most brass, someone gave some that was old but good brass that was once fired.Most will clean up but whatever that is that will stain some just won't clean.Use the walnut media and if you have it a good case polish like Dillons if you can't get it.Try ArmorAll put a couple of tablespoons in the media(has worked for me).With new walnut media I would try just 2 hours first, that stuff when new will clean quick.I use a 50/50 mix. Walnut cleans and the corncob will polish