The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old September 12, 2008, 11:48 AM   #1
chinpokojed

The Glock Talk Forum?

I'm relatively new to firearms and am shopping for my first CCW. So I've been reading up on lots of forums, and registered here, and a few other places to ask some questions.

Now my handgun hunt has led me to the Glock 17, 19, 22, and 23, so naturally I registered on GlockTalk (I believe the most active glock forum). Unfortunately for some reason when I register there I'm almost immediately banned! I've yet to even be able to post anything there so I have no idea why this is happening. I've emailed the webmaster a few times, but haven't ever gotten a response.

Anyone here know an admin or moderator on there that can pass along my plea for help? I'd appreciate any help I can get!

I know this isn't directly firearms related, but seems close enough for the General Discussion forum.

Thanks!

Last edited by chinpokojed; September 12, 2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old September 12, 2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Odd Job

Ask your questions here or on The High Road, and you'll get more objective and useful advice.
Old September 12, 2008, 12:42 PM   #3
chinpokojed

Fair enough, I've already gotten some objective advice on non-glock handguns here I don't think I would've gotten over in glockland..

...But I would like to know why I've been banned for no reason, seems a little counterproductive to ban people that want to join an online community.. It's like a big red button that says "Don't push!" Now that I can't join, i really want to!

Still probably going to get a Glock 17 as my first CCW, but am investigating some other handguns that were recommended to me over here this weekend.
Old September 12, 2008, 01:25 PM   #4
astromanluca

I had the same problem. I register, get a confirmation email, and click the link in it... and then nothing. I'm able to log in with my new account for a little while, but once I leave the site and come back, I'm never able to log in again and they never approve me to post. It's like my account gets deleted as soon as I create it.

Oh well. Just have to find other forums. I've also emailed the webmaster twice but no response.
Old September 12, 2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Playboypenguin

I had the same issue when I tried to join. It has to do with my ISP address.

I had to register from my Blackberry and then it went through fine and I can use my home computer to go there now.
Old September 12, 2008, 01:44 PM   #6
ringworm

try reading the stickys at the top of each page.
Old September 12, 2008, 01:47 PM   #7
wjkuleck

Yep, what do you want to know?

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old September 12, 2008, 02:01 PM   #8
chinpokojed

ringworm - I assume you're referring to this sticky over at glock talk..
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246355

I get to the exact same point as astromanluca. I get my confirmation email with the activation link (which I click on), but after that I never get approved by a moderator. So when I go back to the site my username / password do not work, and clicking on register again tells me my IP address has been banned.

Walt - if you can, please pass along this thread to a mod / admin over there. Maybe if they see this they can offer some help.

Thanks!

Jed
Old September 12, 2008, 02:26 PM   #9
wjkuleck

Quote:
Walt - if you can, please pass along this thread to a mod / admin over there. Maybe if they see this they can offer some help.
Done!

Best regards,

Walt
Old September 12, 2008, 02:32 PM   #10
chinpokojed

Much appreciated Walt!
Old September 12, 2008, 02:41 PM   #11
wjkuleck

De nada.

Best regards,

Walt
Old September 12, 2008, 02:47 PM   #12
cerberus65

YMMV but for me a G17 is way too big to easily (or even not so easily) conceal. The G26 or G27 would be a lot easier.

Personally, I've got my eye on a G36. It's the slimmest of all the models.
Old September 12, 2008, 03:44 PM   #13
chinpokojed

I may go with something more compact, I'm really still trying to decide.. Back to the range this weekend and we'll see if i can make a decision..
Old September 12, 2008, 03:51 PM   #14
wjkuleck

The G36 with a Pearce Grip +1 extension works well for me.

I can carry the G21, but it is biiiig, even for my hands. The G37 fits perfectly (I qualified for my CCW back in '04 with mine), but the ammo is a bit oddball (.45 Glock Auto Pistol).

Regards,

Walt
Old September 12, 2008, 05:12 PM   #15
Stagger Lee

Maybe you made the mistake of saying something nice about the police over there. That board's got some serious cop-hate on it, which is why I don't hang out there.

As to Glocks, I've got a few and like them, but I don't carry them that often myself. If I did, it'd be either my G23 or G19. I always considered the G17 or G22 just a little on the large side for concealed carry. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
Old September 13, 2008, 03:35 AM   #16
Silvanus

Quote:
Still probably going to get a Glock 17 as my first CCW,
I know this is not really the topic of this thread, but I would also recommend you try a Glock 19 or 26. Especially the 19 seems to be a great compromise between firepower and size.
Old September 13, 2008, 08:46 AM   #17
chinpokojed

Going to take another look at the 19 this weekend, and possibly see if anyone locally has a Pearce Grip extension I can see / hold as well..

On another note I reread the confirmation email and there was an email address for Eric over at glock talk for any problems, and he had it sorted out in no time

I really think the .45GAP and .40S&W would make much better defense loads, but unfortunately I think ammo prices are going to keep me to the 9mm. At this point more range time = more COM shots, which trumps bigger bullets in my book
Old September 14, 2008, 02:22 PM   #18
Alleykat

Some good info @ GT, particularly in the "For Sale" forums.
Old September 15, 2008, 10:16 PM   #19
straitR

Quote:
That board's got some serious cop-hate on it, which is why I don't hang out there.
Mall ninjas? yes, plenty... Know it all Sea Lawyers? you bet... Immature punks? way too many... But in over 3 years I can't say I've ever seen anything that could be considered cop hating.
Old September 16, 2008, 04:03 PM   #20
crucible

Quote:
Maybe you made the mistake of saying something nice about the police over there. That board's got some serious cop-hate on it, which is why I don't hang out there.
You can't post until you've been granted access via the registering process

This happened to me there too; I've tried several times over the years (this isn't a new thing for them by any means) and each time I've received the "your IP address has been banned" message, despite never having an account there-ever, and despite having multiple IP adresses over those years. I too have emailed thier admins each time, and got nothing back. I only assume they banned large amounts of multiple IP blocks from various providers, the reality of which is as silly as it sounds, but there it is.

So I gave up trying: the board doesn't want me (and the others it does this too), so be it. From what I read when my travels do happen to take me there on occasion, I'm not sure that's not a bad thing necessarily.

C-
Old September 16, 2008, 04:16 PM   #21
Playboypenguin

crucible

All you have to do is register from a handheld device. I had the same IP issues and I solved the problem by registering using my Blackberry.
Old September 16, 2008, 08:06 PM   #22
RockyMtnTactical

I love Glocktalk, it is such a large forum, there are plenty of people there that don't even like Glocks all that much...
Old September 16, 2008, 09:15 PM   #23
mvpel

I love my Glock 30 - carry it every single day. 10 rounds + 1 of .45ACP boomage.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old September 19, 2008, 01:07 AM   #24
dandydany

.45 Acp

get a Glock 30... it's compact, comes with 2 clips and a clip loader. It's a real accurate gun , light recoil ...and the .45 slug is very effective. It does not like lead bullet so I feed it 230 FMJ. Next, I'll get a S & W 325 Scandium in same caliber, 4" barrel . Weight only 24 1/2 ounces. Good luck
Old September 20, 2008, 05:21 AM   #25
RNG

Chinpokojed - Give this site a try. Great bunch of guys. http://www.glockpost.com/

cheers,
Richard
Closed Thread