The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 2, 2010, 04:26 PM   #1
ppete97

Info on newly acquired Walther PPK

I am trying to get more info on a Walther PPK I just inherited. I am not that familiar with firearms, but with the limited research I have done so far, I find this to be a very interesting part of history. The PPK has the E/N symbol in the chamber and just below the chamber on the frame. The other side has Waffenfabrik Walther Zella Mehlis (Thur), Walther's Patent Cal 7,65 m/m, Mod PPK. The magazine also has Walther's 7,65 m/m (no serial no.). The pistol is in pretty good shape, but the black handle is slightly cracked. The serial number is 395xxx K. Based on this info, I know it was made between 1940 and 1945. Can anyone tell me what year it was manufactured and also an approximate value for insurance purposes?
Old November 2, 2010, 09:07 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

As close as i can come, late 1942 or early 1943. Pictures would be necessary for any real evaluation, especially pics of any unusual markings.

Jim
Old November 2, 2010, 10:17 PM   #3
ppete97

The file size of my pics are too large to post. I will keep trying. There are no other special markings other than what I listed originally. There is another E/N mark on the barrel. Based on what I have read, I'm guessing this PPK was not military issue.
Old November 2, 2010, 10:46 PM   #4
LanceOregon

Quote:
The file size of my pics are too large to post. I will keep trying.
Pete:

It is like super simple to resize photo images. Any photo editing software can do that. Even your Windows or Mac photo/image accessories can easily resize the photo. And there are lots of freeware utilities that one can download at no charge to resize photos too.

Besides all of the above, virtually all photo sharing websites will automatically resize large files for you, when you upload the photos to them.

So this really is no valid excuse at all.

Quote:
Based on what I have read, I'm guessing this PPK was not military issue.
There was no civilian manufacturing of firearms in Germany during WWII. The Nazi government took over complete control of firearms manufacturing during the war.

While it may not have been issued to someone in the military, it was definitely a government gun. Could have been issued to a policeman or some other government official.

Did your relative not tell anyone in the family how he came about getting the gun?

Last edited by LanceOregon; November 2, 2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old November 3, 2010, 10:00 PM   #5
ppete97

Lance:

Thanks for the advice on the photos. I knew I could figure it out, but I didn't have time to do it last night.

My relative got the PPK from an old family friend that passed away recently. The friend was not in the war (he was born in the early 1930s), but he was a history buff (firearms, aircraft, etc.). I never talked to him about the PPK, but he always carried it on him. I am going to talk to other family members to see if they know how he got it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walther PPK 001.jpg (74.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Walther PPK 005.jpg (48.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Walther PPK 003.jpg (65.6 KB, 45 views)

Tags
ppk , walther