The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2009, 02:54 PM   #1
alsmith

Hornady 45 ACP Shellplate for LNL AP, New

Just received my Hornady AP Press, EZ eject last Friday.

Spent the day on Sunday setting it up and getting ready to load 45 ACP.

Installed the suggested #1 new style shellplate that was listed in a link on the Hornady website as the one to work with a number of calibers, including, 45 ACP.

Ran into a problem in that on two of the 5 shellplate inserts the ammo would not eject and had to be removed manually when the ram would bind up on ammo ejection.

Called Hornady and was informed that the #1 shellplate was no longer, recommended for use with 45 ACP. They have a new 45 ACP shellplate which deals with this problem.

I have no problem with the quality of the customer service at Hornady. However, I do have a problem that the shellplate link on their website as recently as Wednesday, January 7th, still listed the #1 shellplate for the 45 ACP and no mention of the 45 ACP shellplate.

Yes, I will buy the 45 ACP shellplate. However, I only wanted the #1 shellplate for the 45 ACP. Poor site mantinance and a waste of $30 bucks and some needless aggravation.

Yes, it is a great press, however!!!

Al
Old January 24, 2009, 03:45 PM   #2
dsjensen

You can make the #1 work

I got my #1 to work with the EZ eject by doing a little grinding on the bottom of the plate with a dremel tool. When holding the plate upside-down in your hand and inserting or removing the brass from a slot, you can see that the brass catches on the rail that the brass retaining spring is seated on. So I ground this rail back slightly - now no problems.
Old January 24, 2009, 06:49 PM   #3
webbee

You could also sell the #1 on eBay. They are known for bidding used stuff up, to over retail prices, so you might make out.

I agree that a lot of websites have erroneous info and should be fixed. Write a complaint letter to the President of Hornady to get their attention. They are great for customer service and this should be taken care of.
Old January 25, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4
MADISON

45 ACP Shellplate

If Hornady sold you something that does not work, make them replace it, at their cost.
Old February 23, 2009, 06:57 PM   #5
CrustyFN

I think Hornady should swap it out for free.
Rusty