The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2013, 07:48 AM   #26
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
New York Sucks

Voting records are available to the public . Do some research and vote out those carpetbaggers that passed that stupid law . Maybe even elect some heterosexuals , for a change . What a fine body of government you have there in NY , do as they damned well please ! I'm not as proud of living in Vermont as I once was , but it still beats the hell out of NY !
Old January 23, 2013, 09:55 AM   #27
spacecoast

Quote:
If Coumo had his way you will only be able to re-load 7 rounds at a time.
Don't forget about the background check before you touch the press or go shooting.

Quote:
My guess is the news media doesn't know about reloading
So let's keep it that way, OK?
Old January 23, 2013, 04:30 PM   #28
dwhite

Quote:
Voting records are available to the public . Do some research and vote out those carpetbaggers that passed that stupid law . Maybe even elect some heterosexuals , for a change . What a fine body of government you have there in NY , do as they damned well please ! I'm not as proud of living in Vermont as I once was , but it still beats the hell out of NY !
Problem with voting out the carpet baggers is that,
like a lot of big liberal states, those in the big city
determine policy for the entire state.

NYC runs New York. Philadelphia run PA. Los Angeles,
San Francisco, San Diego, and Sacramento run California.

The big cities are also where the bulk of the parasites
live.

It's unfair but it's the way it is. Only way to beat this
is to vote with your feet and move out. Once their
population, and revenue, start declining and they see
other more freedom concious states gaining population,
and revenue, they'll change. It's a slow process but it
will happen. I read New Yorks population has been dropping
for some time and unless they're expecting an influx of
libs wanting to live in the gun safest state in the union, the
drop will continue.

All the Best,
D. White
Old January 23, 2013, 04:41 PM   #29
m&p45acp10+1

I talked with a couple of friends this afternoon about this problem. One is in law school. The other is an FFL originaly from New York. After reading over the new laws it is still up in the air as to wether or not components are to be considered ammo.

A big thing in the new law is that ammo sales are to made by FFL only. They also must run a back ground check on each purchase from the way the law is writen. So the companies are covereng themselves to prevent being charged as criminals for breaking a law. Remeber one will be convicted of a crime even if ignorant of the law. In the words of a lot of LEO friends, and family. "Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense in court."

I think the retailers are taking that to heart.

I am glad I do not live there.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:12 PM   #30
stu925

Got an e-mail today from Midway saying they will ship to NY until the ammo background checks fo into effect next year. So components are a go for now but looks like Midway will stop shipping to NY next January. Calling the hotline tomorrow and will report back when I get an answer.

Stu
Old January 24, 2013, 09:55 PM   #31
KBP

NY law

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. Why is ignorance of the 2nd Ammendment an excuse for not following it? How can NY( or any state) pass laws that take away our 2nd Ammendment rights?
Old January 25, 2013, 04:38 PM   #32
stu925

We're doing everything we can to get the law repealed, but I doubt Cuomo will ever admit his mistake with this (mostly because he doesn't think it is a mistake). I think this one will have to wind it's way though the courts to get straightened out.

Back on topic, I called the hotline today 1-(855)LAW-GUNS if anyone needs questions answered. Reloaders are not affected by this law and components can still be ordered from out of state, I sent Midway an e-mail regarding this so hopefully we'll still be able to get components from them after Jan. 2014. Going to fire off e-mails to any other supply houses I come across that may be misinformed on this too. Ask them to call the hotline and verify it for themselves if you run into issues.

Stu
Old January 25, 2013, 08:29 PM   #33
alan

KBP Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. Why is ignorance of the 2nd Ammendment an excuse for not following it? How can NY( or any state) pass laws that take away our 2nd Ammendment rights?
January 23, 2013 10:12 PM

Other than their oaths of office, which few seem to take seriously, there is nothing, in-so-far as I know that would serve to prevent a legislative body from enacting unconstitutional or constitutionally questionable laws. It is up to the citizenry to seek redress, and the judiciary to check the antics of the ;legislature, which they sometimes, not always, but sometimes actually do.

It is a process that is time consuming, expensive and painful for the citizenry yes, but such is the system that we have, until such time and place where it is changed, one hopes for the better. It could stand improvement.