The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 14, 2013, 07:46 PM   #26
LSnSC

You are being bombarded with alot of information, some of it inacurate. Do yourself a favor and take a lesson. Im an NSCA instructor, so I may be a little biased, but I think its worth the money and you'll get started off on the right foot. MAKE SURE they are an NSCA certified coach, and at least Level 2. Ive met a lot of really good shooters that were horrible teachers.

For a new shooter, I would start off by checking eye dominance and seeing if you are mounting the gun correctly and have a reasonable gun fit.

Then I would teach you how to see the bird and the difference between hard and soft focus. You cannot hit what you arent seeing.

Once you are seeing the bird we would learn the following mantra,

Break Point, Foot Position, Hold Point and Visual.

Learn what each of those are, and how to apply them every time you step in the box, you will have a good foundation for success.

Once you have a decent foundation you can build on it by learning how to shoot specific presentations, but you have to learn to walk before you can run.
Old July 17, 2013, 05:01 PM   #27
BigJimP

( the thread is 4 yrs old guys....)....." It's Dead ".....