The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2013, 08:26 PM   #1
TripHlx

Problem with a Stevens Model 57 E

I'm looking over a Stevens Model 57 Series E 12ga pump for a friend of mine. It recently stopped functioning during a dove hunt. According to him, after firing the last shot in the shotgun, he attempted to open the action to clear the shotgun and found it locked up.

The bolt and forearm slide back around 1/4 or so, then it stops hard. Shining a flashlight in the action with the magazine tube removed shows what looks to be the shell stop floating more or less freely over the lifter/gate. It appears as though over time the screw holding the shell stop in place weakened and finally fractured, letting the shell stop wander where it shouldn't. With the action completely closed the shell stop moves very little, open as much as currently possible and it floats around quite a bit, but I can't find a way to get it out of the action.

Does anyone know of a way to get the shell stop out without being able to open the action and properly disassemble the shotgun? I'm not super familiar with this model at all, and am certainly not a gunsmith. Just good with my hands and trying to help a friend.

Also, if anyone knows of a readily available parts source for this shotgun, I would appreciate that as well, as I am currently having a hard time finding any.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Pictures to follow if I can get my phone to cooperate.
Old May 18, 2013, 09:52 PM   #2
TripHlx

There we go, photos of the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130515_143657.jpg (229.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130515_143724.jpg (229.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130515_143917.jpg (232.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by TripHlx; May 18, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old May 18, 2013, 09:58 PM   #3
TripHlx

One more for good measure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130515_143926.jpg (230.6 KB, 47 views)
Old May 23, 2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Scout

Well, I'll take a stab at it. That model won't disassemble at all without the buttstock removed. You need a long handled flat head screwdriver to remove the buttstock retaining screw, which also keeps the trigger assembly in place. After the buttstock is removed, you can punch out a retaining pin to release the trigger group. Then, the slide arm can be pried off of the bolt carrier retaining nub and the bolt and carrier slides out of the back of the receiver. O course, how this translates into action considering the problem your friend's gun has remains to be seen. Hope this helps...