The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 3, 2013, 08:51 PM   #1
MagnumWill

Sig Sauer MPX- new SMG (16" barrel avail). What do you think?

I stumbled upon this article from the 2013 SHOT show. I've always thought an SMG-style 9mm/.40/.357 SIG/.45 would be a fantastic HD and range gun. I understand that the AR platform has really encompassed this area, as well as a few guns like the Storm, Hi-Point, etc. I have always liked the MP-5 styling, but we know those are few, far in between (in anything larger than .22, that is) and expensive. I would love one if these (in either 9mm, but .45 would be outstanding) and SBR it. The Kriss Vector is super cool, but it too is largely out of most budgets.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...r-the-new-smg/

What do you guys think? Good stuff? Day late and a dollar short? What would you pay for it if it's available?
Old February 3, 2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Technosavant

Cute, but I don't see it being offered at a price I'd be willing to pay. The NFA rules are part of the problem- without a tax stamp we're stuck with a 16" barrel, so it's at best a cumbersome pistol or really weak rifle. While I wouldn't mind a pistol caliber carbine, for that kind of thing I'd only be willing to part with $500-600 for one... that thing is likely to be at least $1000 or so.

However, if I could get a short barreled one without needing a tax stamp (don't want one badly enough to deal with NFA stuff) and then rig it for a suppressor, sure, I might consider a bit more for one.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:03 PM   #3
MagnumWill

I was thinking the same thing. In order for it to be competitive I would only pay ~$800 at the absolute most, and that's with positive initial reviews and such. It's GOT to be cheaper than an AR in the same caliber, simple as that.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:13 PM   #4
MagnumWill

Just found this listing from Rockwell...

http://www.rockwellarms.com/store/pr.../Sig-Sauer-MPX

$1999? Unless this is a panic price, no way José. It's Vector time. I hope they can do better than that...
Old February 3, 2013, 10:04 PM   #5
bigghoss

The only way I'd ever buy a pistol caliber carbine was if it took the same mags as a pistol I already own or would be willing to purchase, it was something reliable I could trust my life to if need be, and if they could sell it for less than $1k actual retail. I might be willing to spend more for a bullpup to get a compact weapon with the 16" minimum barrel provided my other criteria were met.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:13 PM   #6
SportingKC

Asking sig on the phone if the new 20 round capacity mags were available yet for the 2022, the guy informed me there was a 27 round that supposedly worked with the 2022 and a sig carbine, but both were still in R&D phase. Could be the MPX?
Old February 4, 2013, 01:54 AM   #7
5.56RifleGuy

Ehh. Nothing I can really get excited about. I have a few pistol caliber carbines, but the ppsh 43 I only paid $270 for and the sterling only cost me $400. Why is this $1600 better? Being sig, I would think the magazines will be expensive. To me, it just seems like an ar 15 with no buffer and a goofy mag well.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:58 AM   #8
5.56RifleGuy

I see they copied just about every mp5 layout also. Why is it a big deal it fires from a closed bolt? I guess 357 sig is cool, but is it really that much better than 7.62x25?
Old February 4, 2013, 02:05 AM   #9
Ridge_Runner_5

Looks like an Olympic Arms OA-93 with an MP5-style collapsible stock.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Willie Lowman

I'd SBR that in a heartbeat.

How hard is it to change barrels? If caliber changes are easy, count me in.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiller
Why is it a big deal it fires from a closed bolt?
In the subgun world it is something to be liked. It's easier to make a submachine gun that fires from an open bolt (less chance of a round cooking off in the chamber). Problem is, having a heavy bolt slam shut before firing results in a loss of accuracy. Moreover, the ATF in the USA really really REALLY dislikes open bolt guns because it's easier to convert them to full auto.

By going with a design that fires from a closed bolt it's easier to hit the target and makes possible potential civilian sales for a semiauto only variant.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Tucker 1371

Anyone else go to Sig's site and look at what appears to e the civvie version? Has the funkiest looking muzzle brake I've ever seen, check it out-
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...sig-mpx-c.aspx
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old February 4, 2013, 11:50 AM   #13
velillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker 1371 View Post
Anyone else go to Sig's site and look at what appears to e the civvie version? Has the funkiest looking muzzle brake I've ever seen, check it out-
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...sig-mpx-c.aspx
The muzzle break is actually suppressor baffles. I preordered one to see how much the suppressor sheath is going to be. If its more than a hundred or two ill cancel my preorder. It should be you basically are buying the gun and suppressor at once and then just buy the shealth thing and pay the tax stamp on that.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:25 PM   #14
Dr Big Bird PhD

What Velillen said ^^

A member of sig from SHOT Show explained on youtube that the 9" muzzle break is meant to have a suppressor put over it. Muzzle break + easy add suppressor? Yes please.

Well if the price goes down of course
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 4, 2013, 12:45 PM   #15
MagnumWill

I was wondering that as well, why they decided on a 9.5" "flash suppressor". That's pretty creative. Suddenly this is pretty appealing...
Old February 4, 2013, 02:28 PM   #16
Technosavant

Quote:
A member of sig from SHOT Show explained on youtube that the 9" muzzle break is meant to have a suppressor put over it. Muzzle break + easy add suppressor? Yes please.
EEEEEEEEnteresting.

I may have to give this a closer look then. If the extra tube (that makes it a suppressor) is reasonably priced ($200-300), then this might be a nifty little thing. I'd prefer a .45ACP model, but so be it.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:49 PM   #17
Tucker 1371

Quote:
The muzzle break is actually suppressor baffles. I preordered one to see how much the suppressor sheath is going to be. If its more than a hundred or two ill cancel my preorder. It should be you basically are buying the gun and suppressor at once and then just buy the shealth thing and pay the tax stamp on that.
Ahhhh, gotcha. Interesting indeed.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old February 4, 2013, 07:00 PM   #18
Auto426

Quote:
Why is it a big deal it fires from a closed bolt?
It's not that it fires from a closed bolt, it's that it fires from a locked bolt. The Sig uses a short stroke piston operation, while just about every other sub gun in popular use is blow-back operated.

Supposedly it was designed by a former HK engineer who sought to improve upon the MP5, and it least on paper it's looking good. The monolithic upper receiver allows for plenty of rail space for accessories such as flashlights or lasers. The AR style lower receiver will be familer to those who use that platform and should provide for ergonomic operation. Sig also claims that users will be bale to change barrels lengths and stock configurations in the field, though I am not quite sure if exactly how one would go about that.

The gun seems very promising for those military and police agencies who still desire a sub gun over a short barreled AR. Only time will tell how when it comes to seeing how it actually performs though.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:05 PM   #19
RamItOne

Cool looking if its an SBR, 16" SMGs look for lack of a better word retarted. At least with a rail it won't look as goofy as the MP5 and UZI 16 inchers. Also it then serves little purpose, other than that right now 9mm is much cheaper than .223

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old February 4, 2013, 08:32 PM   #20
raimius

If you want to suppress it, that "muzzle break" is pure genius!
Some designer talked to a lawyer, haha.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:24 AM   #21
5.56RifleGuy

"It's not that it fires from a closed bolt, it's that it fires from a locked bolt."

Ok, so why is it a big deal it fires from a locked bolt?

Technosavant, Thanks for the info on the other part. That makes sense.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:18 AM   #22
MagnumWill

Quote:
This allows it to chamber larger rounds, like .40S&W. a blowback action in any decent pistol/rifle cartridge would require a considerable spring to hold it in battery while firing (why the little PPK has such a stout spring). I can't speak for the MAC- style guns, but I think they're blowback as well? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:18 AM   #23
Technosavant

The MP5 is delayed blowback, and the end result of a delayed blowback action as opposed to a gas operated locking breech setup is a smoother action and a far easier time in hand cycling the action.

I can't tell you exactly how much easier the MPX will be to handle as opposed to the MP5; I've never handled either. I have, however, handled gas-op locking breech .30 rifles and roller delayed blowback models, and the delayed blowback models make me feel like I need a hydraulic press to open the action and check the chamber.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:29 PM   #24
Auto426

Quote:
As I said before, this type of operation is almost unheard of in the singing world. The locked bolt operation should allow for cleaner and smoother operation as compared to a blowback operated gun.

Quote:
I can't speak for the MAC- style guns, but I think they're blowback as well? Correct me if I'm wrong.
They are blowback operated as well. I believe they use a heavy bolt and/or stiff spring to help delay the opening of the breach whereas HK uses their roller delayed blowback system for the MP5.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:46 PM   #25
EdInk

I think it is very cool but I don't have that like of money to spend on another toy. Plus with the looking AWB it could be a real lame duck with 10rd magazines.