The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 1, 2013, 12:43 AM   #1
jolly1

CZ 75b - target competition shooting

Hello, all.

I started some more serious target shooting 2 years ago in my local club. Although I grew up with guns at home (my granpa was a hunter, and retired army officer), just recently I started with semi-auto pistol target shooting.
Without much training my score is ussally slightly better then the other guys in my club, which I find personally very motivating, so now I am planning to buy a new pistol for this purpose, and start more regular training before the next competition season.

COnsidering availability, price etc... I was planning to purchase CZ 75 B, as I am still not trained enough (and ready) to buy 3.000 usd pistol to make the best of its use.
I was also considering 9mm xdm, being at the similar price range, but voted against mostly because there is no .22 LR conversion kit for this one.

I have seen many posts related to this gun (cz 75 b), but could not find one thing which is of particular interest of mine, which is expected accuracy of this pistol.

So, the question is this:
What is the group that can be expected from this pistol at 25 yards, shot from bench rest?

Many thanks in advance!
Old February 1, 2013, 12:46 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I haven't shot a CZ75 from a bench, but the two I've had occasion to shoot were capable of 5 shot groups around 2" at 25 yards with ammo they liked. I expect that some experimentation with a variety of ammunition could better that.
Old February 1, 2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Hammerhead

I shot mine from the bench and the best I could do was 2".
Maybe a sharp eyed younger person could have done better.
A limiting factor might be the factory trigger pull. Mine had a lot of creep after the take up slack. You could see the hammer moving back slightly in the SA mode. Also the stock sights aren't very good for pure target shooting.
The Kadet kit is very reliable, but it is not a target pistol. Don't expect better than 2" @ 25 yds with it. My Mark II is far more accurate.

I would recommend ordering a 75B from CZ Custom with their trigger job built in.

You might also look at a 9mm 1911 or a Sig P226.
Old February 1, 2013, 03:22 AM   #4
jolly1

@ JohnKsa:
2 inch group is more then I hoped for! Great. I was thinking, actually to have trigger re-arranged with our local gun smith. He did a great job on a my friends CZ.

@ Hammerhead:
Re: Colt 1911, I was planning to purchase at later stage of my competition carier in original 45 ACP cal.

Re: SIG 226 9mm, this one I was planning when getting good results with cz 75. SIG 226 9 mm goes around 2500 usd in my country with micrometric sights, match barrel and adjusted trigger pull - for competition. CZ is around 800 usd, to compare.

So, both pistols will require some investements I am not yet ready to make, and will also have to work out the fund raiser and budget approval in my home parliament (wife).

Anyhow, she was quite pleased I won a trophey last year on local automatic rifle competition, as she already had suspicions of how much time I spent at range, and was presuming on other type of activiteties I might been involved with. She was almost certain I was having an affair. .... till I got the trophey back home!

Last edited by jolly1; February 1, 2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old February 1, 2013, 04:18 AM   #5
AndyWest

I bet England!

If you can get a CZ 75B for 800 USD, buy it. Full stop.
Old February 1, 2013, 04:58 AM   #6
Pilot

For dedicated target shooting and competition CZ has better variants of the venerable CZ-75 pistol. The 75SA, SP-01 Shadow, Tactical Elite, etc.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:02 AM   #7
loose_holster_dan

i was just handling my 75b (unloaded) while watching tv last night (something i do quite often). i hadn't shot it in awhile, and had forgotten the ergonomics. even my sigs don't feel that good in my hand. then i did a couple of dry fires. i had forgotten how light and crisp the single action trigger was. i have the omega trigger version, and after replacing a couple springs, it's a dream.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 1, 2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot
For dedicated target shooting and competition CZ has better variants of the venerable CZ-75 pistol. The 75SA, SP-01 Shadow, Tactical Elite, etc.
Indeed. Check on down toward the bottom of the page, linked here, for some other options. They do get pricey, however...

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/
Old February 1, 2013, 09:04 AM   #9
loose_holster_dan

indeed they do make competition variants already tuned up for you. i have the sp-01 shadow custom target model as well as a standard 75b and 75d compact. the price doubles on the shadow. personally, i don't think you get $600 worth of extra trigger tuning.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 1, 2013, 11:05 AM   #10
seeker073180

I just brought out my new Shadow SP-01 to the range yesterday. So very easy to shoot and makes you look like a star. Beware CZs do tend to multiply!! Started with a PCR Compact added the Shadow. Couldn't be happier. I still love my Sig P226, but I'd say I'm havin an affair with the CZs.