The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 12, 2015, 10:42 PM   #1
cowboys1062

Broke Off Barrel Lugg On GPR Rifle

Today I ended up breaking off the rear barrel lug on my GPR rifle. I was wondering how I might reattatch it back on to the barrel? It was a clean break, smooth on the bottom of the lug, smooth surfice on the barrel. It must have been either welded or soldered on in the first place. I am thinking about trying some J.B.Weld. I dont know how to solder so soldering it back on is out of the question. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate some advice! Respectfully, cowboys1062.
Old February 12, 2015, 11:50 PM   #2
Snyper

It should be TIG welded
Old February 12, 2015, 11:50 PM   #3
DD4lifeusmc

lug

best bet is to braze it or wire feed weld it. And wire feed (mig / tig) is better.
You will need a heat sink on the barrel in front and back of the area to be brazed soldered. use only as much heat as necessary to do the repair and let cool naturally.
Even better if a professional welder does it.

JB or any other epoxy will not hold up under the recoil. Least ways not very long.
Old February 13, 2015, 12:13 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If you don't think you have the tools or know how too do the repair properly. Best to consider a professional gunsmiths help in that situation.
Old February 13, 2015, 08:03 AM   #5
mykeal

Agree. This is not a home shop operation, at least not one with any hope of long term success. Get thee to the yellow pages and find a local welder or gunsmith.
Old February 13, 2015, 08:55 AM   #6
Nathan

From a repair stand point, these guys are probably right to TIG it.

I would call Lyman and inquire about it. They would likely be cheapest or at least give you a reasonable quote on a new barrel.
Old February 13, 2015, 09:26 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I don't like welding on a barrel. You don't want to raise the barrel metal to critical. Just solder it back on.

Now, if it's a dovetail slot, then I'd peen the bottom of the lug with a prick punch and then press it into the dovetail.
Old February 13, 2015, 10:49 AM   #8
Pahoo

TIG

Quote:
It should be TIG welded
I don't know about "should" but that is what I'd do with mine. I have a friend that owns a welding shop and he takes great care with his work. It's almost amazing what he can do with a TIG welder. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 13, 2015, 01:38 PM   #9
Snyper

Quote:
It's almost amazing what he can do with a TIG welder. ....
When I used to do it, I watched one of my supervisors set up a mirror to reach around a blind corner and weld a leak in a copper tube

I was never that good, but he had been doing it for at least 30 years at that time

I've never seen a MIG weld that didn't look sloppy, but with TIG you have total control
Old February 13, 2015, 02:27 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

If you don't want to weld it - go to Track of the Wolf and take a look at their barrel lugs. They have several styles - solid for pin and loops for wedge. They sell an installation kit consisting of a double punch which will prick punch the hole locations at correct distance. Then you drill a blind hole on each spot (you will want a drill press for this and a vise) - then you insert the lug and "stake" it in place with the other tool. I've used these for years in building guns and it's a fairly quick and easy install. Just double and then triple check your location so it is properly positioned for you wedge slot in the stock.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 13, 2015, 06:09 PM   #11
cowboys1062

I called Lyman customer service

I ended up calling Lymans customer service. After trying to explain to the lady what a barrel lug was she finally put me through to one of their techs. He told me to send the barrel into them. Thats what Im going to do. I was thinking, at best Ill get a new barrel out of the deal! At wost Ill get it repaired proffesionally! I want to thank you all for the great replies. It was very helpful and gave me all the options to think about. Has anyone else dealt with Lymans customer service before? Respectfully, cowboys1062
Old February 13, 2015, 06:14 PM   #12
Snyper

Just out of curiosity, I sent Lyman an e mail with a copy of the OP
Here is what they said:

Quote:
The lugs are welded to the barrel by the factory in Italy.

We would suggest returning the barrel to us.

Please send it to Lyman Products, 475 Smith St., Middletown, CT 06457 attn Service Department.

Please include a note stating what happened and a phone number where you can be reached. Thank you.
Old February 13, 2015, 06:17 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Awfully nice of Lyman.
Old February 14, 2015, 11:11 AM   #14
Pahoo

Excellent !!!

Quote:
He told me to send the barrel into them. Thats what Im going to do.
That is fantastic and as you stated, you are likely to get a new barrel as similar things have happened to me, in the past. Thanks for posting and sharing with us. Please keep us posted as in one way or another, we are all invested in this. I currently own three Lymans and they seem to be good folks. ..

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old February 14, 2015, 08:57 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

Good for you! Hopefully they'll take care of it in a timely fashion and either send it back repaired or a new barrel. Glad it's coming together for you! Let us know how the whole experience goes for you.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 15, 2015, 10:49 AM   #16
cowboys1062

In reply to snyper

SNYPER, Thankyou for emailing Lyman and getting the address and shipping instructions! Was very helpful. I want to thank everyone else for all the great advice! I will let everyone know how it all turns out in the end. Thankyou! Respectfully, cowboys1062
Old February 15, 2015, 02:45 PM   #17
Snyper

Glad it helped !

Here's all their contact info:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/contact/