The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 29, 2014, 12:08 PM   #1
oldknotty

Black powder and caps

Okay guys I need to buy some Black powder and percussion caps .I have looked all over online but with little luck .is there anywhere here in Cincinnati that i can buy the items i need ?? I looked at the Field and Stream store in Ky with no luck , Can i buy it online and if so from where ???
Old March 29, 2014, 12:59 PM   #2
9mmfan

Quick Google search shows a Bass Pro in Cincinnati (300 Cincinnati Mills Dr, Cincinnati, OH 45240 (513) 826-5200.) I got my humble pound of Goex at a Bass Pro here in TX. They carry caps, but whether they will be in stock is another question.

Regarding the powder, real black powder won't be on the shelf. You have to ask for it. Storage requirements and such, as it is classified as an explosive not a propellant. Guy told me it was " in a safe, in another safe, in a vault" in the back.

Last edited by 9mmfan; March 29, 2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added address and phone #.
Old March 29, 2014, 01:15 PM   #3
oldknotty

thanks 9mm fan :-)
Old March 29, 2014, 01:38 PM   #4
maillemaker

I get powder from Back Creek Gun Shop. I can get pistol caps from local Gander Mountain and musket caps I got from local gun store.
Old March 29, 2014, 03:20 PM   #5
kwhi43

Well Old Knotty your only about a hour away from the NMLRA where the National
shoot is held twice a year, June & Sept. Been going on there since 1933. They
have powder & caps for sale. It is open year around . I will be there in June for
9 days. Been going for 25 years now. It is SW of you in a little town of Friendship
Indiana. We stay in Vevay right on the river. Madison is a great town to visit
while your there. The shoot sits on 600 acres and is quite large. Just a wonderful
place tho. Lots of Muzzleloaders guns for sale also.Check it out.
Old March 29, 2014, 03:26 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

+1 ^

Also Google gun shops in your area and start calling - saves on the gas.

As close as you are to Friendship, try to plan a day of attending the Nationals - lots of vendors in the sheep sheds and blanket traders as well - lot's of good shooting to watch or take our smoke poles and join in . . . lot's of good folks as well - it's something anyone interested in BP should experience. Check out their webiste (Google NMLRA) and join up - a great organization and the Muzzle Blasts magazine is well worth the price of the membership.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 29, 2014, 05:53 PM   #7
BerdanSS

Your also an hour from Deer Creek Products in Waldron IN. And while anything at Friendship is a great thing, DCP is open Mon-Fri every week. You have to call a day ahead with black powder orders (for the real stuff) they have PB substitutes and most caps in stock at all times.

Friendship is a great resource though. Very nice place to shoot. Heck, if I have a nice day off through the week...I'll load up the muzzle stuffers and make a day out of it. I live IN Indiana and I'm still an hour farther from friendship than you
Old March 30, 2014, 10:36 AM   #8
oldknotty

Thank you guys for all the info i am gonna make a point of attending the shoot at friendship :-)
Old April 1, 2014, 10:56 AM   #9
DD4lifeusmc

powder and caps

so many states and different cities have restrictions on what can be shipped to you, so....
Do a google search for black powder, goex (etc) pyrodex, triple 7 in Cincinnatti.
also area towns.
There are a lot of small gun shops in the small towns that might just happen to have them.
My name under a dealer account at midway has been on the waiting list for caps for 5 months. Not a word.
Right now I got plenty, but I want to stock up with more. Last summer when almost everybody was out, I found an unheard of small store 50 miles south of me. They had thousands in stock. So look for the small guy too.
Old April 1, 2014, 01:39 PM   #10
Trum4n1208

Old Knotty, you and I are in the same boat. I'm in Northern Kentucky, just south of Cinci, and I can't find actual powder to save my life. If you find any somewhere, give me a heads up?

Best wishes.
Old April 1, 2014, 02:57 PM   #11
fdf

To buy powder at Friendship you have to be a member of the NMLRA and at times you have to order it in advance.

Call 812-667-5131 for details.