The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 11, 2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Dopey

Sights for Colt 1911

I have an old Colt 1911 manufacturing dated to 1916. The previous owner was retired military and was on their pistol team. He had a lot of work done including target trigger and Micro adjustable rear and front sights. I lost the front sight while shooting and can't seem to locate a front micro sight to replace it. I guess I need to send this nice pistol to someone to replace the sights. I would like some suggestions on type of sights and where to send. I was thinking of tritium sights. I have a ccp but never carry this old piece due to it's size and rarity. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old March 11, 2013, 03:10 PM   #2
RickB

Micro sights are long out of print. Does the slide still have the original, rectangular slot for front sight attachment? A front sight that's tall enough to match a Micro rear is going to be quite heavy, and the surface area available for staking-on the front sight is not really enough for a large front sight, and that's why they were often silver-soldered, as well as staked. Most modern front sights are attached with a transverse dovetail, like the rear sight.
If the Micro is set in the standard rear dovetail, I might just get a set of nice, high-visibility fixed sights, rather than cutting on the gun or otherwise trying to accommodate the Micro rear.
Old March 11, 2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Dopey

RickB, Thanks for the quick reply. The slide doesn't appear to have been machined. The front sight has the stake hole and no dovetail machining. I can't install sights so will have to send to a reputable gunsmith. I should have uploaded pics earlier. Sorry. Thanks for any suggestions for sights and gunsmiths.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911-2.jpg (56.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 1911-4.jpg (124.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 1911-3.jpg (106.4 KB, 23 views)
Old March 11, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4
RickB

The front of the slide was modified to fit the previous sight, so you won't be able to use a front sight of the original, stake-on type (unless it's some sort of sight "blank" that's made to fit your slide). Cutting a dovetail at the front might be the way to go, as you then have a lot of options.