The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 15, 2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Da_swed

is this a reaplika or a original whitney cal 36 revolver ?

Hi is this a origninal whitney cal 36 revolver or is it a replika ?

and can this shoot only round ball ammonition or can it shoot conical bullets too ??
in new too this so i hope i can get som Answers

Old July 15, 2010, 01:54 PM   #2
pohill

The only replicas of the Whitneys were made by the Palmetto company. If it's a repro, there should be Italian proofmarks on it, and a company logo (I think it's a palm tree).
What is the serial number?
The markings on your barrel top are the correct ones for an original.
The original frames were made of iron - mine has a plumb brown patina to it.
Remove the trigger guard and look for the Whitney Eagle or other marks.

I shoot .380 roundballs out of mine with about 15 grains of black powder. I would have it checked before firing it if you don't know what to look for.

Last edited by pohill; July 15, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old July 15, 2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Da_swed

Quote:
The only replicas of the Whitneys were made by the Palmetto company. There should be Italian proofmarks on it, and a company logo (I think it's a palm tree).
What is the serial number? I can check it.
The markings on your barrel top are the correct ones for an original.
The frames were made of iron - mine has a plumb brown patina to it.
Remove the trigger guard and look for the Whitney Eagle or other marks.

I shoot .380 roundballs out of mine with about 15 grains of black powder. I would have it checked before firing it if you don't know what to look for.
Thank you for a detaild and fast answer its not actually mine yet

Im thinking off buying it .The guy selling it says in the ad that it has at some time been re blued and

that the chambers in the cylinder are a little Over dimensioned and i sent a mail asking for the serial number
Old July 15, 2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Da_swed

Quote:
What is the serial number? I can check it
can u still check it out for me? serial number is 12988
Old July 15, 2010, 05:59 PM   #5
pohill

According to Flaydermans (9th Edition) that serial number was issued to the Second Models, 2nd or 3rd type (mine is a 4th type). Value: $675 - $2000.

I don't know how the Palmetto repro serial numbers ran.

What did the seller mean about the size of the chambers? I have three original .36 calibers - Colt 1851, Savage & North and the Whitney. I use a .380 ball which is actually too small for each gun. A .390 would be perfect.
Old July 15, 2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Da_swed

First thank for all the info

Well i can try and explaine what he meant by that.

well whats he is saying is that the cambers in the cylinder have been

lightly Over dimensioned (made bigger) in order to be able too put

more blackpowder in and in the last mail i got from him he said:

Quote:
The only thing u should think about is that
the origial 36cal bullet moulds are a

little too small for the chambers. And he thinks that it would work whit a 10

mm roandball ammo or litlle bit smaller .
Old July 15, 2010, 08:15 PM   #7
pohill

My calculations show that 10 mm = approx. .39...correct? Which is what my Whitney would take. I do not know for sure what the size of the original moulds would have been.
I'd be careful if the chambers have been bored out to take more powder. That makes no sense. The gun is 150 years old to begin with, so making the cylinder walls thinner might be dangerous. Does the seller know for sure that it has been bored out?

Are you new to cap and ball shooting?
Old July 15, 2010, 08:55 PM   #8
arcticap

I doubt that it's been re-bored. It sounds like he meant that it was originally bored too large for a .36 caliber ball to make room for more powder.
It's sounds like it's bored to the same size as yours is pohill.
At first glance it looks like it's a nice original gun.
Old July 15, 2010, 09:15 PM   #9
pohill

I'm guessing that the seller measured the chambers and, since it measured out at .390, assumed it had been bored out since it's larger than the .375 or .380 now in use.

Boy am I glad we never switched over to metric.
"Dave Tutt drew his Colt 1860 Army 11.19mm and leveled a shot at Hickok, and missed. Hickok calmly drew and fired his Colt 1851 Navy .10mm and did not miss."
Naw...
Old July 15, 2010, 10:33 PM   #10
danielw

Da_swed,
I'd be interested in some information on this Whitney, if you purchase it. We're conducting some research and have about 160 Whitneys in our data base. Please see www.whitneyrevolver.com

You mentioned it has been re-blued. Is there any trace of a cylinder scene?
According to our research, we would classify your revolver as a 2nd Model, 3rd Type. According to our research, this type has the Colt-style loading lever catch; and first style cylinder scene (eagle; shield; lion, with no naval scene). Whitney cylinder scenes are very light and most are worn off, so it has been difficult to verify some cylinder scenes. I believe the change in cylinder scene occurred around serial # 13000. Another change is the use of a slanted
"N. HAVEN" in the barrel address. Your revolver has the straight "N. HAVEN".....which would be correct for that serial number.
You should find serial numbers on the bottom of the barrel; inside of loading lever; on frame under trigger guard; on inside of brass trigger guard; inside of grips; and back of cylinder (on ratchet area between nipples).....however, numbers may be worn off on cylinder.

Anyway....looks like a nice revolver. I'd appreciate any data you could provide.
Thanks,
Dan
Old October 2, 2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Black Powder

Hallo, I am here new and show of my new toy.
Whitney cal.36 nickel-coated original.
Starr SA 1863 .44 org.,Whitney Navy .36 org.,Colt Lightning .44-40 org., Bozard & Co. Hammerless 12ga org.,Colt 12ga.org.,GEW 88,Tryon .45 DP,Sharps Carbine and Sporting .45 IAB,D.H.Hilliard .40,Barlow .40,Cub Dixie DeLux .32 DP,Colt 1861 Special Musket .58,Undehammer Billinghurst .40 &.451,Gallager .54,Hatfield .32 Carb.& Long DP,Shotgun Coach 12ga.DP, Tingle Pallmetto.36